Coors is better than bud.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey NordeastBrewer I would like to see that list as it would be eye opening to know. I already knew about goose island. I would like to know about the others.

Here's AB-InBev's Wiki page. i think it has most of their bigger craft beer holdings (they call them 'strategic equity holdings' had to chuckle at that), at a quick glance i saw GI, Redhook, Widmer's and a few others. i know there's an actually list out there too, try a google search, i think i just stumbled upon it on a thread here, so you could try searching here on HBT as well.

edit: here's the big list!!!

further edit/rant: FWIW, bashing Ab-InBev, or MillerCoors, AKA the dreaded BMC is one of the most beaten dead horses on these forums. every week or two, somebody posts a thread about how much they hate 'BMC' or how they boycott them at all costs. i find it silly, ill-informed, close minded drivel. while one may not like American Style Lager, as a style, it doesn't mean that the examples of that style are bad beer. in fact, i challenge any BMC basher to brew a good example of the style. one that scores well in comps. it's quite hard as it's a style with zero room for error. any flaw in recipe, process, fermentation, etc., will be glaringly obvious to the drinker. furthermore, it's because of Ab-InBev that we all get to drink many great beers that wouldn't otherwise have worldwide distribution. take the Spaten line. Spaten makes some amazing beer, their Dunkel and Marzen are both outstanding representations of their styles. or what about Redhook, you north easterners would have a hard time drinking ESB or Longhammer if it weren't for Ab-InBev. or Goose Island, you southerners wouldn't be able to enjoy Bourbon County without Ab-InBev. or Guinness, what about Guinness? do you really think us yanks would know of this classic without Ab-InBev.
moral here, if you say you don't like their beer, or don't drink it, you're either seriously limiting your choices, or lying. if you think you 'boycott' them for one reason or another, check again, betcha you're not living up to your boycott. and this goes for any style of beer people say is 'bad', just because you don't like something, or haven't had a good example, doesn't make it bad. finally, if you think American Style Lager or Light Lager is just bad beer, go brew one. betcha Bud Light tastes good compared to your attempt at the style. :mug:

rant over. i find this topic to be shallow and pedantic. :mug:

For a 3 day long bottomless mug of Coors light for $5 at a Rugby tourney, you can't really complain in my eyes. Granted, they have recently change to $10 and Bud light (Personally prefer the Coors), it's still a hell of a deal. In short, I love a good, complex flavourful beer, but when it comes to a long weekend and a **** load of beer it's hard to shy away from an American Lager.

further edit/rant: FWIW, bashing Ab-InBev, or MillerCoors, AKA the dreaded BMC is one of the most beaten dead horses on these forums. every week or two, somebody posts a thread about how much they hate 'BMC' or how they boycott them at all costs. i find it silly, ill-informed, close minded drivel. while one may not like American Style Lager, as a style, it doesn't mean that the examples of that style are bad beer. in fact, i challenge any BMC basher to brew a good example of the style. one that scores well in comps. it's quite hard as it's a style with zero room for error. any flaw in recipe, process, fermentation, etc., will be glaringly obvious to the drinker. furthermore, it's because of Ab-InBev that we all get to drink many great beers that wouldn't otherwise have worldwide distribution. take the Spaten line. Spaten makes some amazing beer, their Dunkel and Marzen are both outstanding representations of their styles. or what about Redhook, you north easterners would have a hard time drinking ESB or Longhammer if it weren't for Ab-InBev. or Goose Island, you southerners wouldn't be able to enjoy Bourbon County without Ab-InBev. or Guinness, what about Guinness? do you really think us yanks would know of this classic without Ab-InBev.
moral here, if you say you don't like their beer, or don't drink it, you're either seriously limiting your choices, or lying. if you think you 'boycott' them for one reason or another, check again, betcha you're not living up to your boycott. and this goes for any style of beer people say is 'bad', just because you don't like something, or haven't had a good example, doesn't make it bad. finally, if you think American Style Lager or Light Lager is just bad beer, go brew one. betcha Bud Light tastes good compared to your attempt at the style. :mug:

rant over. i find this topic to be shallow and pedantic. :mug:

Why I dont bash BMC for making ****ty beer (it has its place) I think most people on here are mad that BMC and particularly AB InBev (really AB since they were doing it before they were bought out) are doing everything they can to prevent microbreweries from starting. Brew Masters or whatever that show was called on Discovery that followed Dogfish head founder Sam Calgione went into detail about how bad AB was trying to shut down and prevent Dogfish head from being successful.

So while so many dislike BMC because the beer is pretty terrible, I dislike AB (not really InBev, just AB. Im not sure if Inbev had much to do with trying to stop microbreweries) because they are trying to stop the beer that we all enjoy. And I certainly appreciate Inbev for bringing over all those great beers like Spaten and Stella, but lets be serious, Goose Island and Redhook and those others you mentioned would be fine without AB Inbev. Sure, their absurd amount of money didnt hurt distribution and marketing but look at Bells and Dogfish head and all those other microbreweries that have stayed by themselves, they are doing fine. If I can get Bells in Columbia, SC all the way from Michigan then I think they are fine without AB Inbev just like all the other brands they own would have been.

Lets not paint AB Inbev like some great company allowing us to taste beers we never would have normally.

i had to come back and post this pic for you guys. thought ya might get a kick outta him, i do every brew day, he watches over my shoulder! :mug::ban::mug:

BeerWolf? Aw, man, that brings back memories... I grew up in Golden Colorado and my dad worked for Coors for a number of years in sales/marketing. Somehow he managed to get ahold of a BeerWolf costume, and thought it would be funny to run in the front door one halloween dressed as the BeerWolf. Of course my brother and I were about 3-5 at the time, so it mostly just scared the hell out of us, but a good idea nonetheless. Good old BeerWolf!

I wonder if Bagbier tastes like piss, I would be disapointed if not.:D

And isn't Sibirskiya Korona one of those tennis players from russia?

. . . . . further edit/rant: FWIW, bashing Ab-InBev, or MillerCoors, AKA the dreaded BMC is one of the most beaten dead horses on these forums. every week or two, somebody posts a thread about how much they hate 'BMC' or how they boycott them at all costs. i find it silly, ill-informed, close minded drivel. while one may not like American Style Lager, as a style, it doesn't mean that the examples of that style are bad beer. in fact, i challenge any BMC basher to brew a good example of the style. one that scores well in comps. it's quite hard as it's a style with zero room for error. any flaw in recipe, process, fermentation, etc., will be glaringly obvious to the drinker. furthermore, it's because of Ab-InBev that we all get to drink many great beers that wouldn't otherwise have worldwide distribution. take the Spaten line. Spaten makes some amazing beer, their Dunkel and Marzen are both outstanding representations of their styles. or what about Redhook, you north easterners would have a hard time drinking ESB or Longhammer if it weren't for Ab-InBev. or Goose Island, you southerners wouldn't be able to enjoy Bourbon County without Ab-InBev. or Guinness, what about Guinness? do you really think us yanks would know of this classic without Ab-InBev.
moral here, if you say you don't like their beer, or don't drink it, you're either seriously limiting your choices, or lying. if you think you 'boycott' them for one reason or another, check again, betcha you're not living up to your boycott. and this goes for any style of beer people say is 'bad', just because you don't like something, or haven't had a good example, doesn't make it bad. finally, if you think American Style Lager or Light Lager is just bad beer, go brew one. betcha Bud Light tastes good compared to your attempt at the style. . . . . . :mug:

I agree with most of this, there are however so many beers that have been seemingly lost by conglomeration aquisition. For me it is the McEwans line and more precisely McEwans Scotch ale (or McEwans Champion for those overseas) I only hope that the new owners "Wells and Youngs" (I think) start exporting it to the U.S. again and furthermore hopefully it is similar to the product of old, IMO it was the best scotch ale on the market.:mug: Although I am getting closer to it in my own "brewery" I have not yet mastered the exact complexities of it.

Why I dont bash BMC for making ****ty beer (it has its place) I think most people on here are mad that BMC and particularly AB InBev (really AB since they were doing it before they were bought out) are doing everything they can to prevent microbreweries from starting. Brew Masters or whatever that show was called on Discovery that followed Dogfish head founder Sam Calgione went into detail about how bad AB was trying to shut down and prevent Dogfish head from being successful.

So while so many dislike BMC because the beer is pretty terrible, I dislike AB (not really InBev, just AB. Im not sure if Inbev had much to do with trying to stop microbreweries) because they are trying to stop the beer that we all enjoy. And I certainly appreciate Inbev for bringing over all those great beers like Spaten and Stella, but lets be serious, Goose Island and Redhook and those others you mentioned would be fine without AB Inbev. Sure, their absurd amount of money didnt hurt distribution and marketing but look at Bells and Dogfish head and all those other microbreweries that have stayed by themselves, they are doing fine. If I can get Bells in Columbia, SC all the way from Michigan then I think they are fine without AB Inbev just like all the other brands they own would have been.

Lets not paint AB Inbev like some great company allowing us to taste beers we never would have normally.

dude, AB is InBev, the corportation's name is AB-InBev. you can't say, 'i hate AB cuz they're bad and evil, but InBev's ok, they import a lot of beer'. it's one corporation..
noone's painting AB-InBev or MillerCoors as any great company. in fact, other than the reality that they help distribute some good beer, i think what they do its kinda $h!tty. i'm merely pointing out that much of the BMC bashing on this site is mainly coming from ill-informed people, folks who love to take on any cause, even when they don't really know what the cause is. it's become a trend here on HBT just like it has on sites like ratebeeradvocate.com. and frankly, with little exception, those bashing 'BMC' really don't understand what it is they're saying. they just spout off on these forums about how they boycott the BMC machine, all the while enjoying a bottle of Optimator or Stella Artois. it's silly, it's played out, and let's be real here, the vast majority of it is coming from folks who have limited experience with craft beer.
anyway, i doubt GI or Redhook would have even nationwide distribution without the deal with AB-InBev, and they definitely wouldn't be available outside the US. Widmer's too. very few craft breweries get that sort of distribution w/o AB-InBev or MillerCoors being involved in some way. mainly because those companies DO try to hold down small breweries that aren't affiliated, they lobby state governments to make it very hard for distributors other that their distributors to distribute beer. which sucks for breweries like Dogfish, i can't get Dogfish here because the MillerCoors lobby is very strong in MN, they push for strict 'three tier' system to limit small breweries ability to get their product distributed.
saying i'm painting BMC as some great company couldn't be further from the truth, i think like many large corporations, MillerCoors and AB-InBev throw their weight around, which hurts small businesses. it happens in pretty much every industry. think Home Depot, they've shut down many a mom n pop hardware store with their business model. using the same theory of boycotting evil large business, people should be mad, and not give Home Depot their business. but like AB-InBev, MillerCoors, or Best Buy for that matter, it actually benefits the consumer to take advantage of these large companies. i can go to Home Depot and get pretty much anything i need to do a project around the house, and i can get it for a lot less money than the Ace Hardware down the street, and i can get it all in on stop. i'm simply saying that before people go around saying 'this company's bad' or 'i boycott this corporation', they should be better informed. i'm willing to bet that more than one of the regular BMC bashers on these forums is a regular buyer of AB-InBev or MillerCoors products. and even more than that probably have no real clue about who or what this 'BMC' is other than producers of light beer.

dude, AB is InBev, the corportation's name is AB-InBev. you can't say, 'i hate AB cuz they're bad and evil, but InBev's ok, they import a lot of beer'. it's one corporation..
noone's painting AB-InBev or MillerCoors as any great company. in fact, other than the reality that they help distribute some good beer, i think what they do its kinda $h!tty. i'm merely pointing out that much of the BMC bashing on this site is mainly coming from ill-informed people, folks who love to take on any cause, even when they don't really know what the cause is. it's become a trend here on HBT just like it has on sites like ratebeeradvocate.com. and frankly, with little exception, those bashing 'BMC' really don't understand what it is they're saying. they just spout off on these forums about how they boycott the BMC machine, all the while enjoying a bottle of Optimator or Stella Artois. it's silly, it's played out, and let's be real here, the vast majority of it is coming from folks who have limited experience with craft beer.
anyway, i doubt GI or Redhook would have even nationwide distribution without the deal with AB-InBev, and they definitely wouldn't be available outside the US. Widmer's too. very few craft breweries get that sort of distribution w/o AB-InBev or MillerCoors being involved in some way. mainly because those companies DO try to hold down small breweries that aren't affiliated, they lobby state governments to make it very hard for distributors other that their distributors to distribute beer. which sucks for breweries like Dogfish, i can't get Dogfish here because the MillerCoors lobby is very strong in MN, they push for strict 'three tier' system to limit small breweries ability to get their product distributed.
saying i'm painting BMC as some great company couldn't be further from the truth, i think like many large corporations, MillerCoors and AB-InBev throw their weight around, which hurts small businesses. it happens in pretty much every industry. think Home Depot, they've shut down many a mom n pop hardware store with their business model. using the same theory of boycotting evil large business, people should be mad, and not give Home Depot their business. but like AB-InBev, MillerCoors, or Best Buy for that matter, it actually benefits the consumer to take advantage of these large companies. i can go to Home Depot and get pretty much anything i need to do a project around the house, and i can get it for a lot less money than the Ace Hardware down the street, and i can get it all in on stop. i'm simply saying that before people go around saying 'this company's bad' or 'i boycott this corporation', they should be better informed. i'm willing to bet that more than one of the regular BMC bashers on these forums is a regular buyer of AB-InBev or MillerCoors products. and even more than that probably have no real clue about who or what this 'BMC' is other than producers of light beer.

I agree with this. Most people are ill-informed on the matter. Even me. I know AB Inbev is one company I was just saying that it was more AB because they had started it long before they were bought out but I guess that doesn't really matter anymore. And Im all for capitalism it just sucks to see what the big guys can do with all that money.

Though a recent news article I read was that BMC was down 18% in sales or something and Craft was up 9%. Those numbers could be totally wrong but the gist of it is that craft beer is succeeding while BMC is not (and no AB InBev, adding more alcohol to Bud Light and calling it platinum is not going to work).

So in short, capitalism works, the market goes according to the consumer and consumers like craft beer. BMC has remained relatively stale in its offerings for the last several years and their sales will continue to decline if they dont come up with something that consumers want.

Thanks for the list. It was an interesting one. While I don't disagree with you that brewing an American light later is hard I believe it is a fallacy to equate it being hard to make to it being good. However I agree with you on the bashing BMC it gets me know where is is completely done to death. Anyway thanks for the list which is the whole reason I replied not to point out fallacies or continue a pointless debate.

FWIW, bashing Ab-InBev, or MillerCoors, AKA the dreaded BMC is one of the most beaten dead horses on these forums. every week or two, somebody posts a thread about how much they hate 'BMC' or how they boycott them at all costs. i find it silly, ill-informed, close minded drivel.

It's a "dead horse" because many people feel passionately about it. You can call it ill-informed and close-minded all you want, by trying to quash it, you are actually being close-minded. Contrary to your above statement, most all of the comments I've heard from people have been far from ill-informed. I, for one, separate the products manufactured by InBev-AB and those distributed by them. I fully understand that the $$$ all go to the same place, but when I say I hate BMC, I'm talking about those they actually manufacture.

while one may not like American Style Lager, as a style, it doesn't mean that the examples of that style are bad beer. in fact, i challenge any BMC basher to brew a good example of the style. one that scores well in comps. it's quite hard as it's a style with zero room for error.

I'm sure making an exact replica of the statue of David using nothing but dog crap is an extremely time consuming project that would take a lot of talent. At the end, it's still a pile of ****. Something being a challenge to do should earn it no respect if the final product is substandard in terms of taste.

furthermore, it's because of Ab-InBev that we all get to drink many great beers that wouldn't otherwise have worldwide distribution. take the Spaten line. Spaten makes some amazing beer

Spaten had been widely served in the US long before InBev took it over. Just because we get something, and it is distributed by InBev, doesn't mean we get it BECAUSE it is distributed by InBev.

Guinness, what about Guinness? do you really think us yanks would know of this classic without Ab-InBev.

I'm not even going to justify this with a response. It's ridiculousness speaks for itself.

if you say you don't like their beer, or don't drink it, you're either seriously limiting your choices, or lying. if you think you 'boycott' them for one reason or another, check again, betcha you're not living up to your boycott.

Who are you to say people aren't living up to their boycott? You have absolutely no idea what's in people's actions. Furthermore, with all of the craft beer we have access to, I would feel absolutely no loss not drinking an InBev product.

i'm merely pointing out that much of the BMC bashing on this site is mainly coming from ill-informed people, folks who love to take on any cause, even when they don't really know what the cause is.

Blanket statement that is unfounded in fact. I think anybody who has an opinion enough to voice it hear has a pretty good idea of what the cause is they're commenting on. I'm not speaking to the validity of their comments (although I agree in large part), but you're reaching here.

with little exception, those bashing 'BMC' really don't understand what it is they're saying.

See above. Plus the added benefit of being condescending.

saying i'm painting BMC as some great company couldn't be further from the truth, i think like many large corporations, MillerCoors and AB-InBev throw their weight around, which hurts small businesses.

This is exactly the root cause of most people's displeasure with BMC. Through their widely cataloged predatory business practices and borderline (sometimes over the line) illegal political hand-greasing, they actually try and hinder the craft market. That's the crux of most people's complaint. A pretty damned good one too.

Though a recent news article I read was that BMC was down 18% in sales or something and Craft was up 9%. Those numbers could be totally wrong but the gist of it is that craft beer is succeeding while BMC is not (and no AB InBev, adding more alcohol to Bud Light and calling it platinum is not going to work).

So in short, capitalism works, the market goes according to the consumer and consumers like craft beer. BMC has remained relatively stale in its offerings for the last several years and their sales will continue to decline if they dont come up with something that consumers want.

yeah, but that 9% is still a tiny fraction. BMC has lost a boat load of ground not to craft beer, but to cheap, decent wine. been happening for almost 15 years. look it up. nothing else makes up for the lack of beer sales, people certainly aren't drinking less...

It's a "dead horse" because many people feel passionately about it. You can call it ill-informed and close-minded all you want, by trying to quash it, you are actually being close-minded. Contrary to your above statement, most all of the comments I've heard from people have been far from ill-informed. I, for one, separate the products manufactured by InBev-AB and those distributed by them. I fully understand that the $$$ all go to the same place, but when I say I hate BMC, I'm talking about those they actually manufacture.

it's a dead horse because it gets brought up ad nauseum on these forums. i'm not trying to quash anything, just trying to point out some facts. sorry if i come off 'closed minded' to you, but i think i may be a little better informed on this subject than many others.

I'm sure making an exact replica of the statue of David using nothing but dog crap is an extremely time consuming project that would take a lot of talent. At the end, it's still a pile of ****. Something being a challenge to do should earn it no respect if the final product is substandard in terms of taste.

intelligent analogy. i still challenge you or anyone else to brew a American style lager that is well received by judges.
FWIW, it's only an opinion that american style lager is a bad beer. and frankly, i think it's a close minded opinion at that.

I'm not even going to justify this with a response. It's ridiculousness speaks for itself.

so, you don't like a beer that i and many others do, still doesn't prove a point to me. but, i have to say your snobbery is on par with the typical BMC basher on the interwebs.

Who are you to say people aren't living up to their boycott? You have absolutely no idea what's in people's actions. Furthermore, with all of the craft beer we have access to, I would feel absolutely no loss not drinking an InBev product.

maybe, maybe not. i did listen to some guy ramble on at a bar last week about how horrible anything AB-InBev brews is cr@ap and how he'll never buy a 'BMC' product. he was drinking a Redhook ESB, from the bottle. as far as what you miss out on, couldn't care less, i like to keep my options open when it comes to beer. guess that's too close minded for you.

Blanket statement that is unfounded in fact. I think anybody who has an opinion enough to voice it hear has a pretty good idea of what the cause is they're commenting on. I'm not speaking to the validity of their comments (although I agree in large part), but you're reaching here.

i agree with you here, the internet is a great place for anyone with a half assed opinion on subjects they know little about to voice their opinions. it's why there's threads like this popping up weekly.

This is exactly the root cause of most people's displeasure with BMC. Through their widely cataloged predatory business practices and borderline (sometimes over the line) illegal political hand-greasing, they actually try and hinder the craft market. That's the crux of most people's complaint. A pretty damned good one too.

if you read everything i wrote throughout this thread instead of getting butt hurt about one of my later posts, you'd see that i have that same beef with any corporation that uses underhanded practices to gain ground in their respective industry. doesn't mean i'm going to try to single handedly take them down with a one man boycott and a few rants about how bad they are.

sorry if ya don't like what i said, but i'm just speaking' my mind. i spend alotta time on these forums and have seen this same subject over and over again. personally, i feel it's a far more appropriate subject for the ratebeer.com forums than it is here. besides, it's simply played out.

Why click and read, and then decide to post if you already know that this is a topic you don't care for? Just sayin...

cuz i'm opinionated, like to speak my mind and enjoy a good debate. not to mention, i click and read pretty much every thread i see pop up on HBT, if i have something to say about it, i post. guess that was the case with this one too. and i never said i didn't care for the topic, just the opinions some have on it. i actually find the topic a great one because there's of the polarizing opinions, and like i said before, debate is fun.

just saying'.... :mug:

NordeastBrewer77 said:
it's a dead horse because it gets brought up ad nauseum on these forums. i'm not trying to quash anything, just trying to point out some facts. sorry if i come off 'closed minded' to you, but i think i may be a little better informed on this subject than many others.

By calling it a dead horse, using phrases like "ad nauseum," and saying that as you are better informed than those who disagree with you, you are undeniably sending the message that this topic should be quashed.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
intelligent analogy. i still challenge you or anyone else to brew a American style lager that is well received by judges.
FWIW, it's only an opinion that american style lager is a bad beer. and frankly, i think it's a close minded opinion at that.

I don't think it's a bad style (although by its design, it is fairly bland) per se. But I don't think anything branded as "Bud," "Millers," or "Coors" is a particularly well crafted version of the style. IB-AB may own other breweries which produce better versions, but their core products lack. I think Amstel light, Abita light, and PBR are all done well (without loving any of them).

NordeastBrewer77 said:
so, you don't like a beer that i and many others do, still doesn't prove a point to me. but, i have to say your snobbery is on par with the typical BMC basher on the interwebs.

While I'll admit to being a beer snob, you misunderstood my snarkery. I actually am a big fan of Guiness. What I was reacting to was the notion that InBev-AB had any effect whatsoever on the popularity of Guiness or that we "yanks" would never have heard about it without them.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
maybe, maybe not. i did listen to some guy ramble on at a bar last week about how horrible anything AB-InBev brews is cr@ap and how he'll never buy a 'BMC' product. he was drinking a Redhook ESB, from the bottle. as far as what you miss out on, couldn't care less, i like to keep my options open when it comes to beer. guess that's too close minded for you.

InBev doesn't brew RedHook. They own the brewery and are responsible for distributing it. InBev has always been a distributor and owner of beer companies - not brewers themselves. AB was their largest acquisition, but the model hasnt changed . The acquired (or partnered) breweries and current recipes remain the same, but volume and distribution increases. It may be semantics, but most Americans (ignorantly) look at IBAB as an American company with their American product being AB brewed beer. What they "brew" and what they "own" are very different.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
if you read everything i wrote throughout this thread instead of getting butt hurt about one of my later posts, you'd see that i have that same beef with any corporation that uses underhanded practices to gain ground in their respective industry. doesn't mean i'm going to try to single handedly take them down with a one man boycott and a few rants about how bad they are.

I actually did read what you wrote and I saw that in this area we agree. I reposted this sentiment because I can't understand how you at the same time feel this way but have no idea how people can rail against BMC. These conglomerates don't pimp their small or craft acquisitions. The hold them simply to keep out other competition. When people talk about BMC in this way, we're talking about the force feeding of marketing and turn-blue cans to the mass market as how beer "should" be.

As to "one man boycotts" I think we've heard enough from people who actually do boycott the core products (because that's what turns them off) to acknowledge its much bigger than a one man issue. Just because you don't want to participate in a crusade to change business practices of giants doesn't mean that other's desire to do just that are invalid.

And my butt feels just fine, thank you!

NordeastBrewer77 said:
sorry if ya don't like what i said, but i'm just speaking' my mind. i spend alotta time on these forums and have seen this same subject over and over again. personally, i feel it's a far more appropriate subject for the ratebeer.com forums than it is here. besides, it's simply played out.

How is it any more appropriate there than here? This is a community where people have shared interests and where we don't stick to talking strictly about brewing beer. This is a perfectly appropriate place for it.

I'm not suggesting you need to change your views. Im not saying a subscribe to a boycott (but I never buy BMC if there's an alternative because of both the politics and the taste). But to belittle people's views and thoughts (which you did) screams of the same hypocrisy you called out in some of your examples.

I'm a Bud guy. Always have been. Coors tastes too watered down to me and Miller always tastes skunked. Of course my girlfriend says then exact opposite (she likes Miller) so I think with these beers it is a shot in the dark anyway.

I may not be a Bud guy for long though. I should be ready to brew my first next weekend.

Miller can't actually be skunked, they remove the hop chemical that gets struck by light and causes the skunky taste.

By calling it a dead horse, using phrases like "ad nauseum," and saying that as you are better informed than those who disagree with you, you are undeniably sending the message that this topic should be quashed.

nah, if you got the impression that i wanted it quashed, i'm sorry, but that wasn't my point. i merely think a lot of people who bash BMC are very ill informed and took it upon myself to post about it.

I don't think it's a bad style (although by its design, it is fairly bland) per se. But I don't think anything branded as "Bud," "Millers," or "Coors" is a particularly well crafted version of the style. IB-AB may own other breweries which produce better versions, but their core products lack. I think Amstel light, Abita light, and PBR are all done well (without loving any of them).

have to agree with ya here, man. the standard Bud and Miller brews are fairly bad representations of a fairly bland style. Coors Banquet is an exception, i feel it's a fairly good example of the style. not a fan of Amstel, although it's not terrible. i've tasted one Abita brew i liked, Turbodogg, the rest were meh, at best. as for PBR, i think it's a very nice beer, considering the style. PBR and Hamm's are fairly nice beers, IMO.

While I'll admit to being a beer snob, you misunderstood my snarkery. I actually am a big fan of Guiness. What I was reacting to was the notion that InBev-AB had any effect whatsoever on the popularity of Guiness or that we "yanks" would never have heard about it without them.

well, good, i was wondering about the sanity of a person who doesn't like Guinness. :ban: it's good beer. i do beg to differ on the effect of AB-InBev to it's popularity, though. i think a lot of the more recent surge of popularity is directly related to the marketing that came on after In-Bev bought them out. that's when all the gimmicky stuff and the sunday afternoon football ads started.

I actually did read what you wrote and I saw that in this area we agree. I reposted this sentiment because I can't understand how you at the same time feel this way but have no idea how people can rail against BMC.

i know why people carry this sentiment, and i actually respect the views of those who who feel this way. as i respect the views of anyone who has an informed opinion on anything, regardless of the subject matter. that said, i find it silly for one to go around saying they never buy BMC products when chances are they do so without realizing it. thus the statement about people being ill-informed.

As to "one man boycotts" I think we've heard enough from people who actually do boycott the core products (because that's what turns them off) to acknowledge its much bigger than a one man issue. Just because you don't want to participate in a crusade to change business practices of giants doesn't mean that other's desire to do just that are invalid.

saying you boycott a company because you don't buy some of their products is like saying you boycott petroleum companies because you drive and electric car, full of plastic parts, while drinking bottled water. avoiding a brand or a product because you don't care for it isn't boycotting if you're still buying other products made by that company. IDK, maybe some people actually do really boycott BMC, but i find it hard to believe that it's that common considering the breadth of InBev's holdings.

And my butt feels just fine, thank you!

wow, i meant 'butt hurt' in a figurative manner. but i'm happy for ya. :ban:

How is it any more appropriate there than here? This is a community where people have shared interests and where we don't stick to talking strictly about brewing beer. This is a perfectly appropriate place for it.

i guess i feel that home brewers should have some insight on all things beer and maybe that's my shortcoming. it just seems like the kinda of snobbery that you see on those sites, and you don't see it much here. (these BMC threads, excluded, of course)

But to belittle people's views and thoughts (which you did) screams of the same hypocrisy you called out in some of your examples.

i wasn't trying to belittle anyone. by saying people are ill-informed on the subject, i meant no offense. i simply meant to open the eyes of those who may not know about how vast the AB-InBev or MillerCoors empires actually reach. if you recall, my post about how i dislike the average BMC slam was prompted by a poster asking for some insight on the subject. i posted some links after looking around the web for some info. when i edited a few times to post further info, i noticed a lot of BMC bashing and decided to throw my $.02 into the thread as well.
the fact is, i actually agree that these companies are very harmful to the craft beer industry, and wish it wasn't that way. i'm just not going to avoid every In-Bev affiliated beer over it, i'd be selling my love for beer short if i did. if that's your definition of hypocrisy, sorry, but i don't see it that way.
i guess my issue here is that i wanted to open some eyes on the subject. in doing so i spoke my mind which obviously rubbed you the wrong way. i won't apologize for that, like everyone else here i'm entitled to do so if i please. i didn't feel that i was being offensive to anyone in particular, nor was it my intention, and if i was it was merely because the 'ill-informed' shoe fit.

edit: the two of us can hug if ya like. i think it's a good debate, and i have no feelings either way, i hope the same goes for Cimirie.... it might be kinda weird tho, i hardly know the guy. :ban:

NordeastBrewer I feel like I need to correct you on Guinness. It was not on the two list you showed me on AB-InBev. For everyone reading this thread you might want to know that in fact it turns out that Diageo owns it. And it has been Diageo brand since 1997. Since it seems the biggest debate here is on ignorance a little fact on who owns what will help everyone be better informed.

Edit: For the record I think it is the best stout made and my favorite session beer.

yeah, I had read this a few days ago. Funny part is that the runner ups are funny as well. Do not care for any of the big three for years...

NordeastBrewer I feel like I need to correct you on Guinness. It was not on the two list you showed me on AB-InBev. For everyone reading this thread you might want to know that in fact it turns out that Diageo owns it. And it has been Diageo brand since 1997.

yep, you're right, my bad. :mug: and ya know what, that's not the first time i've mistaken a Diageo brand for AB-InBev. you'd think i'd get that one in my head, i regularly have cans of Guinness in the fridge and have this thing for reading product labels when i open a container (i read the cereal box at least a few mornings a week as i eat my breakfast, :fro:). ya know, some times there's those things that don't register. thanks for clearing that one up, Timaithis. :mug:

I do the same thing with cereal boxes. I think its more of something to read that warms up my brain from sleeping. Even if it the same one I read yesterday.

"My piss is better than your piss." It's the same damn thing. This is like a tallest midget competition. In the end they're both still extremely short.

MillerCoors doesn't do anything to hurt the craft beer industry? :confused: huh?
maybe not in the northeastern part of the country, but they sure as $h!t do here closer to their home base.

i bet you many of you guys saying you don't buy AB-InBev products actually do. a lot. probably without knowing about it. there's many craft breweries that gave partial ownership to AB-InBev for distribution purposes. goose island and red hook are amongst the better known of these breweries, but the list is quite long, and eye opening for those who think they're boycotting the dreaded 'BMC' machine. :mug:

Widmer is another one.

I wouldn't consider Widmer and the other brands produced by breweries owned by Craft Brew Alliance, Inc. to be A-B products at all. A-B owns a minority share in CBAI, it's a publicly traded company.

I never liked Bud light. To me, Budlight tastes too sweet. Miller Lite has more flavor evident without being too sweet. Coors is sweet but not as much as bud and is more watered down which does seem to make it more drinkable on hot summer days.

After homebrewing though...I can't really stand to drink BMC unless it's in the form of beer pong of chugging contests.

Brewskii said:
You should start another thread and post the rules to these - could be the best thread ever :rockin:

I could start a thread, what subgroup though? the drinking stories one?

I do the same thing with cereal boxes. I think its more of something to read that warms up my brain from sleeping. Even if it the same one I read yesterday.

ha! i think that's it. cuz if it's not the cereal box, it's the newspaper or a magazine.

Widmer is another one.

yep. :mug: there's actually quite a few. check out the lungs in my earlier post quoted below. i actually wasn't aware of Widmer's until i looked up the Wiki to link it for another poster. the whole Wiki is fairly interesting, well, actually both of the Wiki pages i linked are a good read.

Here's AB-InBev's Wiki page. i think it has most of their bigger craft beer holdings (they call them 'strategic equity holdings' had to chuckle at that), at a quick glance i saw GI, Redhook, Widmer's and a few others. i know there's an actually list out there too, try a google search, i think i just stumbled upon it on a thread here, so you could try searching here on HBT as well.

edit: here's the big list!!!

:mug:

Back