Coopers's IPA and Wheat malt Addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rounder999

Reaction score
I have a Cooper's No boil Kit and I have 2# of LDME, 1/2#Dextrose and 1/2# of Malto dextrin. I also have 1# of Wheat DME that I was considering using. Will I get a decent Floculation if I add the Wheat DME or will it be cloudy like most Wheat beers?

Flocculation is a character of yeast, not the types of malt used. If you want this to clear nicely, use a highly flocculant yeast, some irish moss or something similar, and make sure you're dropping the temperature fairly quickly once the boil is done.

I would leave out the Wheat DME. Cooper's kits are best if you don't get carried away and add more than 2#s of extra too it. I would add the 2# of LME, and all of the 1/2# of Dextrose saving back just enough to bottle it with.

As I understand it, the cloudiness of Wheat Beers is due to the yeast thats used, so I'd expect if you're using the Cooper's yeast with the IPA kit it will clear up nicely even if you use the Wheat DME.

I've made the Cooper's IPA kit a few times, if you want to know the truth about it - the best way to make it is use 2 Cans of the IPA kit and add nothing else. Its really really good that way - I've only had one IPA that I enjoyed more.

You are right of course, I should have asked about clarifying which is what I am concerned with. Not sure if you caght that it is a no boil kit, though, so I don't think Irish moss is suitable?

Back