coopers stout brown v white sugar ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas353

Reaction score
can i just use one kilo of brown sugar for fermentation? or 50b/50white, no molasses in this country, im a beginner, so no harsh comments just a little help, im starting from basics, start at the shallow end shallow.jpg

You're making a Cooper's kit where you add a kilo of sugar to it? If so, you could do that if you want, but some people (like me) find the flavor of fermented brown sugar a bit odd and unpalatable. It's molasses-like, but without the sweetness and while I hate it, others do like it. If you're not sure, you could do the 50/50 like you suggest, and try it out.
If it was me, I'd probably use 1/2 kilo of dry malt extract and 1/2 kilo sugar for the extra fermentables to add to the kit.

You're making a Cooper's kit where you add a kilo of sugar to it? If so, you could do that if you want, but some people (like me) find the flavor of fermented brown sugar a bit odd and unpalatable. It's molasses-like, but without the sweetness and while I hate it, others do like it. If you're not sure, you could do the 50/50 like you suggest, and try it out.
If it was me, I'd probably use 1/2 kilo of dry malt extract and 1/2 kilo sugar for the extra fermentables to add to the kit.
bar;ler.PNG
bar;ler.PNG

is this the malt you proposed? thanks im a newbie, just want a stronger tasting stout

Chiming in with @Yooper.

Sugar is used to "boost" alcohol, but it doesn't add any flavor or not much, so you'll end up with thinner tasting beer. That's why better beer is usually made using all or mostly malt, for example, the malt extract in the picture Yooper posted. Malt sugars are more complex. A small amount of sugar (say 10-15%) can be used if you want.

Agreed on fermented brown sugar/molasses, it tastes weird, slightly metallic sometimes.

Some brewers claim Treacle works better in beer, but AFAIK, it's the same as molasses. Perhaps more refined?

thanks for your help (y) much needed guidance, and i will never learn if i dont ask :)

You're very welcome!
This is the right place, we're here to help.

If you haven't yet, check out this How to Brew book online. It has great information about brewing and ingredients. It's a bit old, but most principles haven't changed. There's a new, 2017, 4th edition in paperback out.

Back