Cooper's Ginger kit Gravity still high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolaPete

Reaction score
I followed all directions for a Cooper's ginger beer kit (to make the alcoholic version, not the soda version) including adding 2.2 lbs of white sugar except I rehydrated the dry kit yeast in warm, preboiled water before pitching. It seemed to take off slow and the airlock never really picked up like most other brews but I know the airlock is not always the best indicator. I also noticed a kruasen never really formed, only pockets of large bubbles. OG was 1.027 and now after about 6 days it's only at 1.019 (which should equal 1.05% ABV). The kit says it should finish at about 3.5%. The wort looks fizzy but I'm concerned about the gravity not dropping. There is Sucralose ( a zero calorie sweetner) in the kit which I don't think is fermentable so maybe gravity shouldn't drop because of that? It also tastes very sweet still. I would think since it's still sweet and the gravity hasn't dropped something is wrong but maybe I'm being tricked by the sucralose. Has anyone else ever done this Cooper's Ginger kit and noticed any of this happening as well?

Back