Cooler Woes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HungerJack

Reaction score
So, Im brewing a Robust Porter right now. My mash/lauter tun is an Igloo 5 gallon with a false bottom. The recipe I made has 12.5 pounds of grain. I knew it would be pushing the limits of mash tun capacity. I have a 1.25 quarts per pound ratio. I didn't want to have a thicker mash than that, and I plan to sparge twice.

Well, on to my question. With the total volume in my MLT, I can't put the lid on. If I do, it will overflow. So I covered the top with plastic wrap to try to seal it as best as I could. Will that hold temp at all, or will my mash temp fall drastically? The temp after trekking down the thick mash with my mash paddle was 153. Then I covered it with plastic wrap. I'm fine with a longer mash duration if needed, for instance if it drops to 149ish.

If it drops too low though, what should one do in that case, seeing is that I can not add more water to the MLT?

Any thoughts and comments are well appreciated. :mug:

After covering the top with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, you could cover the MLT with a blanket to keep heat from escaping out the top. Not sure if this reply is too late, but iy might be helpful for next time. Mark

If you have a sheet of styrofoam it will work better. You should be able to pick some up from an office supply store for cheap.

So, the temp held at 152. I mashed for a total of about 80 minutes, I had family over. I sparged twice and ended up collecting 7.5 gallons of wort which was about a gallon more than I needed. Probably shouldn't have sparged twice, but with trying to entertain people and brew at the same time, and I wasn't thinking. I took a hydrometer reading and adjusted for temp correction and it was pretty low. 1.036 pre-boil gravity.

To reach a higher original post boil gravity in what I would like to achieve, which is my target of 1.064, would I need lengthen my boil? More wort boiled off would equate to a more concentrated wort correct? Or did my mash just suck, and conversion didn't fully take place and there is less sugar conversion than I anticipated?

I will note that I didn't do a conversion test because I don't currently have an iodine tincure to do testing of starch conversion.

So, the temp held at 152. I mashed for a total of about 80 minutes, I had family over. I sparged twice and ended up collecting 7.5 gallons of wort which was about a gallon more than I needed. Probably shouldn't have sparged twice, but with trying to entertain people and brew at the same time, and I wasn't thinking. I took a hydrometer reading and adjusted for temp correction and it was pretty low. 1.036 pre-boil gravity.

To reach a higher original post boil gravity in what I would like to achieve, which is my target of 1.064, would I need lengthen my boil? More wort boiled off would equate to a more concentrated wort correct? Or did my mash just suck, and conversion didn't fully take place and there is less sugar conversion than I anticipated?

I will note that I didn't do a conversion test because I don't currently have an iodine tincure to do testing of starch conversion.

Yes, less wort = higher gravity. The total sugar doesn't change, so it's just solving a simple equation.
points 1*volume 1 = points 2*volume 2

You need to boil down to 4.2 gallons to hit 1.064.
36 * 7.5 / 64 = 4.2

If you want more volume, add some dme/lme.

You would need to post your ingredients to know if you are on the low side.

iodine is worth getting from the pharmacy, just don't get the clear kind.

Thanks for your reply. I checked to see what temp my hydrometer was calibrated to read at, and the temp was lower than I thought. So, after plugging in the new numbers my pre-boil gravity was a bit higher than I thought. I ended up boiling down to just a tad over 5 gallons, and ended up with my target gravity.

Thanks for your reply. I checked to see what temp my hydrometer was calibrated to read at, and the temp was lower than I thought. So, after plugging in the new numbers my pre-boil gravity was a bit higher than I thought. I ended up boiling down to just a tad over 5 gallons, and ended up with my target gravity.

Funny how stuff works itself out like that sometimes. Cheers!

Back