Cooler Tun Manifold Position

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soboness5

Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I've been doing a ton of reading about converting a cooler into a Mash Tun...I decided to go with a CPVC manifold over copper. Either way, the hole in my old-school green metal coleman cooler is about .5 inches off the bottom of the cooler, presenting a challenge since there is no 'channel' in the floor which some other coolers have. This spacing means I can't directly run the CPVC manifold into the connector coming through the hole without having a .5inch gap under the manifold on that end. My question - if I try running like this, will this cause issues? Is having the manifold flat against the bottom critical to the proper functioning?

I'm guessing that the water pressure will force the water through the system, and the suction (once flowing) will keep it flowing until there isn't enough water left...but something is telling me there are downsides to this situation. I'm thinking it won't be as stable since it will be susceptible to downward-pressure/breakage, and perhaps increased chances of the slots clogging since more grain can get under against the slits.

My other option is to run the pipe from the inner exit-valve up about 1 inch (due to the length of the elbows), over the first row of manifold connections, and then run a down-pipe and connect it closer to the center of the manifold. But, the same question would still stand - would this pipe set-up cause issues since gravity would be working against the wort too much?

I appreciate any help - i wasn't able to find this specific issue covered in any of the other millions of articles written about building your own tun...thanks!

Hi everyone -

I've been doing a ton of reading about converting a cooler into a Mash Tun...I decided to go with a CPVC manifold over copper. Either way, the hole in my old-school green metal coleman cooler is about .5 inches off the bottom of the cooler, presenting a challenge since there is no 'channel' in the floor which some other coolers have. This spacing means I can't directly run the CPVC manifold into the connector coming through the hole without having a .5inch gap under the manifold on that end. My question - if I try running like this, will this cause issues? Is having the manifold flat against the bottom critical to the proper functioning?

I'm guessing that the water pressure will force the water through the system, and the suction (once flowing) will keep it flowing until there isn't enough water left...but something is telling me there are downsides to this situation. I'm thinking it won't be as stable since it will be susceptible to downward-pressure/breakage, and perhaps increased chances of the slots clogging since more grain can get under against the slits.

My other option is to run the pipe from the inner exit-valve up about 1 inch (due to the length of the elbows), over the first row of manifold connections, and then run a down-pipe and connect it closer to the center of the manifold. But, the same question would still stand - would this pipe set-up cause issues since gravity would be working against the wort too much?

I appreciate any help - i wasn't able to find this specific issue covered in any of the other millions of articles written about building your own tun...thanks!

This is my manifold. You see the bent piece of cpvc used to connect to the back of the ball valve. I did this by using a torch several feet away from the piece. It sits flush now.

DSCF1548.JPG

This is my manifold. You see the bent piece of cpvc used to connect to the back of the ball valve. I did this by using a torch several feet away from the piece. It sits flush now.

Interesting. I don't have access to a torch at the moment but that's great to know I have the option if it comes down to it. Thanks for the tip!

I'm actually starting to have bigger problems rigging up the ball valve/cpvc connection...the inner-wall is super flimsy and none of the cpvc male stems are long enough to reach the ball valve.

I guess that's the challenge of not using a cooler a bunch of people have used before for MLT's...but hopefully it'll be that much more rewarding when I figure this out.

Back