cooler MLT cracked, safe sealant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
My 10gal rubbermaid mashtun developed an x-shaped crack right in the center of the bottom of the cooler. I really don't want wort getting into the insulation or old water getting in to the wort from this crack. I figure some of you DIY'ers will know of some safe sealants for this crack. I've read that 100% silicone will be safe but I've also read that it won't adhere to the material of the cooler. Any ideas?

As said above, nothing that I know of sticks real well to a plastic cooler. Silicone sealant will work for a ?while?, I like to scuff the plastic w/ coarse sandpaper in an attempt for a better bond...of course...ymmv

My 10gal rubbermaid mashtun developed an x-shaped crack right in the center of the bottom of the cooler. I really don't want wort getting into the insulation or old water getting in to the wort from this crack. I figure some of you DIY'ers will know of some safe sealants for this crack. I've read that 100% silicone will be safe but I've also read that it won't adhere to the material of the cooler. Any ideas?

The reason most of us that use coolers do so, is because they are efficient, easy to modify, and safe to use. What's more, they are relatively inexpensive to replace.....

Back