Cooler Conversion... Few Questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFaden

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am going to be picking up 2 x 10 Gallon Coolers from Home Depot this weekend. The plan is to convert one into an electric HLT and one into a Mash Tun. I want to install ball valves on each. So this brings me to the first question... 1) what is the best way to install the ball valve? I have seen a few ways.. then I would like to install thermometers or more specifically a thermocouple in each one.. which brings me to my second question. 2) What is the best way to install a thermometer/thermocouple into a 10 gallon cooler? I saw the sidewall things (but reviews seem not so good)... the third and final question comes down to which false bottom or manifold to go with... should I build one from copper? use stainless mesh etc?...

I am planning to install a 1500W 120V element and PID control it into the HLT and then mount a coil and stirrer inside of it (in the future). Any insights on those three questions.. thanks.

-Eric

Don't waste time and money installing a PID and element into a cooler. Sure, it will work, but coolers don't last long. With average brewing (once every two weeks) I got a year (tops) out of my cooler. The heat warps the insides and it will end up needing to be replaced. If you want to set up a system like this, go with keggles. Coolers are great because they keep the mash fairly consistant as far as temps go, but if you're going to get into automated brewing with a PID, it's a waste of money.

Just my opinion, of course.

Latest posts

Back