Cooler as MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirage

Reaction score
Hi,

After discussing our new cooler that we will use as a MLT, it was brought up that at certain temperatures plastic may leach chemicals into food. I was wondering how safe it is to use a plastic cooler or if I should fashion something out of SS. Thanks!

Hi,

After discussing our new cooler that we will use as a MLT, it was brought up that at certain temperatures plastic may leech chemicals into food. I was wondering how safe it is to use a plastic cooler or if I should fashion something out of SS. Thanks!

Coolers are HDPE, you are good to go :mug:

Great news! Thanks! I figured they were fine, seeing as how people here put up a fuss about fermenting in 7 plastic but use coolers as MLT. :):rockin:

Actually, the interior is Polypropylene...

5. What materials are used in making coolers?

The exterior of Igloo hard-sided coolers is made of high-density polyethylene, while the interior liner is made of polypropylene.

No problems using it for food and bev.

I am using a 48qt Coleman chest cooler. The plastic interior is white and is a little bit soft. I e-mailed them to ask; if anyone knows about the plastic type used I'd rather hear it here, regardless I'll post whatever they say.

" Coleman does not manufacture any containers / coolers for hot liquid or food use. The insulation we use is for cold liquids and food only. Using hot liquids or foods in these products will cause the insulation to expand and warp the product making it unusable.

Non of our Coolers contain BPA and a ll of our coolers are FDA approved and meet all federal and state regulations for food safety. "

I asked for the plastic types. No dice I guess.

" Coleman does not manufacture any containers / coolers for hot liquid or food use. The insulation we use is for cold liquids and food only. Using hot liquids or foods in these products will cause the insulation to expand and warp the product making it unusable.

Non of our Coolers contain BPA and a ll of our coolers are FDA approved and meet all federal and state regulations for food safety. "

I asked for the plastic types. No dice I guess.

Well, that was a nice answer! Live and learn...

Anyway, you already got the cooler. If you haven't use it yet, do a trail run with hot water before running a mash. I don't think you will have any issues.

Just in case, good luck!!! :D

Thanks for all the replies! I wasn't too worried about it breaking or not working correctly though. More about what kinds of things will be leached into our beer when the plastic (or whatever it is made of) is heated to mash temps.

Well, that was a nice answer! Live and learn...

Anyway, you already got the cooler. If you haven't use it yet, do a trail run with hot water before running a mash. I don't think you will have any issues.

Just in case, good luck!!! :D

Thanks. I e-mailed back and asked specifically what plastics were used and was told that the plastic types used are "confidential" but the plastic is BPA free and is FDA approved.

I have mashed twice with the cooler now with no issues. I am not too concerned really, but it would be nice to know for sure. IMO there are worse things in ground beef.

Edit:
I called the 1-800 number just now and got the same story - it's "confidential". I tried to explain the mashing process to the lady (english was not her first language) and she said that the cooler could warp at that temperature but otherwise it is safe.

I guess that's to my satisfaction. I like to be able to read technical specs and decide for myself though.

My grandmother always used to say that over the course of ones lifetime, "you would eat a peck of dirt" (meaning it's not something to worry oneself over).

I think that could be changed today to say: "a peck of plastic and related byproducts." ;)

Back