Cool Hop chart/timeline for %oil comparison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I hadn't seen this before... Did a HBT search still didn't see it.

So here it is.

Greatlakehops posted this on their FB page today. I thought it was pretty cool chart showing the comparison of oils per variety.

http://zekeshore.com/hops_v1.12.png

Might be too big to imbed...

hops_v1.12.png

I've seen this before but never studied it.

Makes me want to use Nugget, which I've never done before.

I am totally baffled by the meaning of the blue bars on the bottom. I would think that the light blue bar is the average AA%, but they seem to indicate that the dark blue bar is AA%/10, which cannot be the case or else they would all be proportional to the light blue bars, which they are not...

I am totally baffled by the meaning of the blue bars on the bottom. I would think that the light blue bar is the average AA%, but they seem to indicate that the dark blue bar is AA%/10, which cannot be the case or else they would all be proportional to the light blue bars, which they are not...

The way I understand it, is that the light blue bar is just the filler color to show up to the range of alpha acid % (dark blue). For instance Columbus has an average alpha acid of 14~16%.

I think the light blue part is just for aesthetic purposes... so there's not floating blue bars out there.

I'm thinking the blue bars are the average AA% range. Columbus has a low average of 14% (light blue) and a high average of 16% (dark blue). Cascade has a low of 4.5% and high of 7.0%.

I have known for a very long time that flameout and dryhop additions of high myrcene pellet hops were king for American IPAs.

It's not common knowledge, just saying. Some of these are a little off though. Brewer's Gold is 38% myrcene and is reminscent of black currents, which is atypical for an American IPA.

For a comparison:

Magnum: 1.8 total oil / 32% myrcene
Millenium: 2.0 total oil / 35% myrcene
Galaxy: 2.5 total oil / 37% myrcene
Chinook: 2.3 total oil / 37% myrcene
Apollo: 2.0 total oil / 40% myrcene
Summit: 2.0 total oil / 40% myrcene
CTZ: 2.5 total oil / 45% myrcene
Warrior: 1.5 total oil / 45% myrcene
Nugget: 2.0 total oil / 52% myrcene
Ahtanum: 1.0 total oil / 52% myrcene
Cascade: 1.1. total oil / 52% myrcene
Centennial: 2.0 total oil / 54% myrcene
Super Galena: 1.8 total oil / 54% myrcene
Northern Brewer US: 1.8 total oil / 55% myrcene
Galena: 1.1 total oil / 58% myrcene
Horizon: 1.8 total oil / 60% myrcene
Simcoe: 2.3 total oil / 63% myrcene
Citra: 2.5 total oil / 63% myrcene
Amarillo: 1.7 total oil / 69% myrcene

I found that the 35-45% myrcene hops are more dank, piney, harsh, and pungent... whereas the higher amounts are more perfumey, fruity, citrusy, and tropical.

It's not common knowledge, just saying. Some of these are a little off though. Brewer's Gold is 38% myrcene and is reminscent of black currents, which is atypical for an American IPA.

For a comparison:

Magnum: 1.8 total oil / 32% myrcene
Millenium: 2.0 total oil / 35% myrcene
Galaxy: 2.5 total oil / 37% myrcene
Chinook: 2.3 total oil / 37% myrcene
Apollo: 2.0 total oil / 40% myrcene
Summit: 2.0 total oil / 40% myrcene
CTZ: 2.5 total oil / 45% myrcene
Warrior: 1.5 total oil / 45% myrcene
Nugget: 2.0 total oil / 52% myrcene
Ahtanum: 1.0 total oil / 52% myrcene
Cascade: 1.1. total oil / 52% myrcene
Centennial: 2.0 total oil / 54% myrcene
Super Galena: 1.8 total oil / 54% myrcene
Northern Brewer: 1.8 total oil / 55% myrcene
Galena: 1.1 total oil / 58% myrcene
Horizon: 1.8 total oil / 60% myrcene
Simcoe: 2.3 total oil / 63% myrcene
Citra: 2.5 total oil / 63% myrcene
Amarillo: 1.7 total oil / 69% myrcene

I found that the 35-45% myrcene hops are more dank, piney, and pungent, whereas the higher amounts are more perfumey, citrusy, and tropical.
are oil amounts always that consistent and exact? like AA%, i'd expect myrcene and other oils to fall within a range for a given variety... as in, "brewers gold is typically between 36% and 40%", not 38% on the dot.

if the oils are in fact that precise, we could use them to ID plants.

Simcoe, Amarillo, and Citra are all on there...

Just bought one of these! It's gonna look great in my beer room.:)

Simcoe, Amarillo, and Citra aren't on that graphic... i believe that was what he was referring to what he said they aren't there.

where did you order this from? the original site doesn't see to sell anything. did you just get it printed by some third party?

Simcoe, Amarillo, and Citra aren't on that graphic... i believe that was what he was referring to what he said they aren't there.

where did you order this from? the original site doesn't see to sell anything. did you just get it printed by some third party?

Oh snap! I've had this bookmarked for a while, I didn't realize the OP was a different link. Here is what I ordered (complete with simcoe, amarillo, and citra :))

http://hopschart.com/

wow, the hopschart.com poster has almost 30 more varieties...

Oh snap! I've had this bookmarked for a while, I didn't realize the OP was a different link. Here is what I ordered (complete with simcoe, amarillo, and citra :))

http://hopschart.com/

wow, the hopschart.com poster has almost 30 more varieties...

noooiiiiice bro - just ordered one for myself.

i didn't see verification that simcoe. citra and amarillo was on there though? I took your word for it ;)

I saw the beginning of this thread and thought, "Wow, a poster of this would be awesome." Then I saw others had the same thought. Then, I got to the link to an actual large print in a poster size. :rockin:

Oh, man. I need to get one of these. So cool.

Back