Cooked honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unferth

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to mead making and had a question for you experienced ones (I'd be interested in inexperienced thoughts too :))

My friend claims he can get some cheap honey from a local apairist, but with a catch. His normal honey is market price, but he has some cooked honey that he sells cheaper and often sells it to resaurants got cook with.

As I understand it, the good raw honey is slung out of the wax and sold as is. Then he heats the wax or whatever up and it drains the rest of the honey out, but it's a different color. Apparently no wax gets in there, I don't know how though...

Would this be a good style of honey to make mead with? Anyone know what this stuff is like? Subpar? Just different color?

Well it will ferment fine. Heating honey much past 100 degrees tends to destroy the aromatic and subtle flavoring that the base plant imparts on the honey such as orange blossom, clover, lilac.......etc etc.

I would suggest that it will work fine for a melomel or a braggot or any heavily flavored mead. It will likely make a tasty mead of any variety but perhaps not as spectacular of a mead as some specialized honeys.

Well it will ferment fine. Heating honey much past 100 degrees tends to destroy the aromatic and subtle flavoring that the base plant imparts on the honey such as orange blossom, clover, lilac.......etc etc.

I would suggest that it will work fine for a melomel or a braggot or any heavily flavored mead. It will likely make a tasty mead of any variety but perhaps not as spectacular of a mead as some specialized honeys.

Ok, cool, but are we talking no honey taste at all? Or just diminished? Honey without honey flavor seems like it would be simple syrup or something.

What sorts of melomels tend to be stronger in fruit flavor? I have a bit of apple juice around...

Ok, cool, but are we talking no honey taste at all? Or just diminished? Honey without honey flavor seems like it would be simple syrup or something.

What sorts of melomels tend to be stronger in fruit flavor? I have a bit of apple juice around...

IMHO Mead doesn't really have much of a "honey" taste, It does taste darn good however if done right. Sounds like the price is right.......make a gallon or five and give it a shot.

Apple juice and honey = Cyser. I use a pound or so / gal of apple juice.

Rasberries, blackberries, blueberries make very nice melomels. 3 lb / gallon

I've got the encouragement I need now... Will let you know how it turns out?

Bochet, huh? Got a recipe?

Back