Converting my mini fridge input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorklord

Reaction score
Long story short, I've modded my mini fridge to fit kegs in. Right now, I can fit two kegs in, but the CO2 tank is giving me trouble, There's a shelf in the back of the fridge formed by the hump for the compressor, and I could either cut a bit of wood to make the shelf bigger and/or put some kind of strap that will keep the tank from tipping over (particularly when I remove a keg).

The other choice would be to drill a hole. Looking at my fridge, the back of this 'shelf' is molded as though there could be a drain here, but the hole is filled in (and in the back of the fridge, at that same spot, there's a hole in the outermost cover of the fridge, but not in the sheet metal layer underneath).

I'm leaning towards drilling a hole here (obviously being careful to make sure that there's no coolant line, but I'm pretty confident there isn't). The advantage I see here is that if I put the tank outside the fridge, I have easy access to it without opening the fridge, and things won't be so crammed in the fridge.

Are there disadvantages I'm not thinking of?

Also, I'm wondering what people do about multiple lines. Right now, I've got a single regulator that has a Y fitting on it. I'm planning on getting a double regulator in the future. I can only fit 2 kegs in this fridge, so I'm unsure whether I should run 2 lines into the fridge or run one line into the fridge and then put a Y fitting or even a fancy block with valves on it in the fridge.

I have a Danby that I have this issue with. There is back shelf rail bracket that I left in and then have a bungee cord hooked into that. I wrap the cord twice around the bottle and then connect the other end around the cord right by the hook attached to the bracket as getting the other hook into the bracket would be highly difficult. It has been a good solution for many years. I do have a stout faucet and will be getting a 20lb tank for it (it was either $30 to fill a 5lb or $40 for the 20lb on beer gas so it is a no brainer to go with the 20lb) which will have to be stored outside. For that, I'm going to build a wood box to put the tank in and probably put the 5lb'er CO2 tank in as well so it looks nice in the kitchen.

Back