Converting HERMS system into still

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner322

Reaction score
Has anyone here taken a stab at converting their HERMS system to also be able to distill? I have a eHERMS system with open top sanke kegs as my kettles. I think it would be pretty tough to convert the boil kettle into a sealed up pot with tower. Same deal with the open mash tun for a thumper. Perhaps the only convertible thing would be the HERMS coil as a reduction coil if you can figure out a way to get your copper hooked into your cam locks?

Anyone been down this road?

Well, My kettle was a beer keg. I used it for large batch beer brewing for many years. I recently turned it into a still. The biggest issue was making a PTFE gasket to go between the bowl and the keg.
Still.jpg

Oh... Interesting. Any chance you have a few more pictures of exactly what that looks like on and off?

Looks awesome. Thanks

This the my column and condenser.
Column.jpg

Here is a look inside the keg, with the heating element installed.
Heating Element (2).jpg
This is the heating element. I got the one with the 1.5 inch tri clamp and L6-30P plug.
Element.jpg
Here are a couple close up shots of the clamps that hold the bowl down.
Tab.jpg Tab2.jpg

I hope this gives you a better look at what I did.

Once I started using the still, I had several leaks around the gasket. I ended up getting a length of high temp silicone tubing and split the edge and coiled it around the inside edge of the keg, then put the gasket on top of that. It really helped, but I still used a little oatmeal to seal one minor leak where the tubing ends meet.

HERMS is your heat source controller, right? Like a PID...? IF so, tap and thread a hole at the top of the stack where you can thread in your thermo couple. Here is a video of what I am sharing

Here is a video of what I am sharing
Personally, I do not recommend that YouTube channel! He advertises his products and therefore has his own perception of what is true and what isn't true, e.g. using copper or stainless steel...

Has anyone here taken a stab at converting their HERMS system to also be able to distill? I have a eHERMS system with open top sanke kegs as my kettles. I think it would be pretty tough to convert the boil kettle into a sealed up pot with tower. Same deal with the open mash tun for a thumper. Perhaps the only convertible thing would be the HERMS coil as a reduction coil if you can figure out a way to get your copper hooked into your cam locks?

Anyone been down this road?
In fact I'm on the same road, but from the other side. I have a still and noticed that making whisky or beer does not differ that much. So my plan is to use my boiler to brew my wort which will then be pumped into my existing fermenter, both are 100-litre SS vessels each (Ø 50cm x 50cm high). I'm going to buy another pot (Ø45cmx45cm high)
Boiler.JPG
to host my BIAB bag, still waiting for some parts like camlocks.

Well, My kettle was a beer keg. I used it for large batch beer brewing for many years. I recently turned it into a still. The biggest issue was making a PTFE gasket to go between the bowl and the keg.
For my boiler lid I made a silicone gasket, I put petroleum jelly to prevent the silicone from sticking to the pot.
I don't see any reflux condenser nor VM valve, it's a fractioning still then, not a compound still?
VM Head.JPGreflux condenser.JPG

Latest posts

Back