Converting from PLC to Arduino

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asem

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post on the forums.

I am building a small (10 gallon HLT, MLT, and BK) brewery that is to be controlled by a MASTER-K120S PLC controller along with a 24V DC power supply, 230->24V transformer and some relays.
What needs to be controlled:
- temperatures in 1)HLT; 2)MLT; 3)boil kettle; 4) fermenter; 5,6,7) tanks where the beer rests; 8) the chiller;
- ten solenoid valves;
- two pumps.
My question is: is it possible to change the PLC to arduino? Using several DS18B20 temperature sensors, SSRs for heating elements and normal relays for the rest.

Please ask if something is unclear. Thank you all in advance!

I have not personally interfaced an Arduino with a PLC, I have seen articles from people who have. I will try and locate a few of them.

I have also seen a plc library for arduino, I posted a link below for a tutorial.

From my understanding you want to use the Arduino for data acquisition and the PLC for the controls?

Should be an interesting little project. I can lend a hand if needed. There are also a few other Arduino savvy members here in might have worked on a similar project that could chime in.

Arduino-PLC

In fact, I want to substitute (before buying) the PLC with Arduino, PT100 sensors with DS18B20 and so on.
I will connect the Arduino to RaspberryPi for data logging, internet checking etc

Is that a viable option? Certainly a lot cheaper :)

Thanks for the library pointcity!

You're going to need decent state-machine code (there's going to be quite a few "states" that will need to be handled), also you'll probably need additional 5v power for relay interface drive.

Code overall shouldn't take that much space so you'll probably not even need a mega2560 to do the job

May also want to look into Labview. I have developed state machines for several test setups using LV and Arduino. And LV also allows you to make GUIs.

So, you're saying an Arduino will be a good tool for my needs? As I stated, it's much much cheaper.

I thought about incorporating some code for the PID from open-sourced projects. Is that what you meant with state machine code?

I am checking the Labview right now

PLC would be much easier to set up and user imo. I've used arduino at home and PLC's at work and outside of cost I would much much rather have a PLC.

So, you're saying an Arduino will be a good tool for my needs? As I stated, it's much much cheaper.

I thought about incorporating some code for the PID from open-sourced projects. Is that what you meant with state machine code?

I am checking the Labview right now

Short answer "yes".

If you are a DIYer, such as myself, and have the knowledge then go with the arduino/plcLib and/or Labview.

If you are in a rush and not a big DIYer, then I would do as suggested and go with a PLC out of the box solution.

That being said, I will offer my help as time permits.

Thank you kindly.
I have another question: would you use an Arduino in a bar/restaurant?

I have been doing a lot of research on Arduino controllers in the last couple of months. I am a systems integrator so work with PLC's professionally, but as others have said the cost is not justified for most PLC systems for a home brewery.

The arduino is great for a homebrew setup, and even overkill since you can accomplish similar things with out of the box PID controllers, relays, and switches. If you want to tinker though, the arduino should do the trick.

For a professional application, a PLC will be more viable in terms of scalability, user friendliness, and robustness. I would also like you to elaborate a bit, I am curious to see exactly what your plans are and how many I/O, etc. you would be talking.

Cheers,
Jason

If you would be building such a brewery for a bar/restaurant or even a single person - would you use an arduino (or similar microcontroller)?

In this exact time, the PLC would only do things like: 1) fill water tank; 2) heat water tank; 3) pump water to MLT; and so on.
Ultimately I would like to think of more 'automation', maybe temperature profiles over time like in BrewPi, waiting for user input when clarifiying mash and then pumping to fermentation etc
I think I could done this myself, be it Arduino or some simple PLC.
I thought of connecting the Arduino to Raspberry Pi for user friendliness and web capabilities. The option to add 'features' and automation would be easier with Arduino+RPi I think.

There would be about 8-10 digital INs for DS18B20, on the OUT side 2-3 pumps and about 10 solenoid valves, and three heating jackets of course.

Last edited:
Back