Converting Bayou Classic SP10 to Natural Gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shataway

Reaction score
I just got this and the only time I have really used it was to burn the paint off and boil some water in a new aluminum pot. Since I used a considerable amount of propane, and I have natural gas at home, I decided to try to convert this to natural gas.

I found a chart which listed orifice sizes, drill bits, and BTUs and started drilling. I started with one step up from what existed and did a test burn. Very Weak. Based on the chart I new that eventually I would be around 7/32" before getting close. I kept stepping up until I no longer saw improvement. I realized that the valve had become the limiting factor.:mad:

I had already extrapolated the chart and had estimated that 1/4" orifice, 4.5" WC of natural gas, would give me 150000 to 178000 BTUs. The SP10 is rated for 185000 BTUs so I figured I would direct connect with my 1/4" id fitting.

Good News, I am still here. When I test fired it, nothing dramatic happened. Big yellow flame that just rolled around. Nothing like a propane burner that reminds me of a jet. I did not feel much heat from it.

Since it looked lazy, I did the water column experiment and measure 4 inches. Good enough I guess. My hose is bigger than 1/4" id and could be 3/8" id.

Q1: Yellow flame, to much air or not enough?
Q2: Lazy burn, not enough gas flow?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven

my 100,000 btu home furnace is fed by 3/4" black pipe, and the main gas valve also has 3/4" ports... i would increase the size of the fuel lines and control valve(s).

also, fuel jets have to be drilled absolutely straight for the venturi to work properly, and it would be better to use reamers rather than twist drills if you can get them small enough.. a lathe or drill press is the way to go, a hand drill will make hourglass-shaped holes..

Thanks for sharing your info. I have 3/4" id service I believe and 10' of 3/8" id hose roughly to the burner. I agree that I need to upgrade the supply I think.

Well, I gave it another try. Since I have 2 3/8" supplies, I bought a T and parallel both lines to the control valve at the burner. I am hoping this is equivalent to a 3/4" supply. So with 10' of 3/4" id supply, 3/8" valve, 1/4" jet, I did get a bigger flame and I did feel heat from it but with a light wind was almost enough to blow it out.

Unless someone has some majic beans for me, I am going to throw in the towel on this one.

Back