Convert recipe: 5 gall to 1 gall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riastradh

Reaction score
I found this recipe for a 5 gallon batch of braggot. I'm wanting to make 1 imperial gallon and need a little help converting the measurements.

I know that 1 imperial gallon is 1.2 US gallon (an extra pint maybe for the imperial) a US measurment for 1 gallon of this recipe would be helpful too.

Do I just divide everything by 5? Then what do I do with the tsps?

1.36kg pale malt extract
56.7g cascade hops
4.55kg medium amber honey
2 tsp yeast nutrient
2 tsp yeast energiser
10 g lavlin d-47 yeast

Thank you

"Do I just divide everything by 5? Then what do I do with the tsps?"

From my experience lately dividing everthing by 5 would work just fine.
When it comes to the tsp for a one gallon (US) though I usually use 1/2 tsp of both nutrient and energizer. The fermentation usually stops at about two weeks and clears fast.

To convert any size to another size:
Divide by the amount of the original recipe, in this case, 5 for the 5 gallons
Multiply by the amount that you want to make. In this case, 1.2 gallons.
Do this conversion for each ingredient.

I think the yeast amount usually stays the same.

Thanks that's a weight off my shoulders, phew! Is this actually a braggot though? There is more honey than malt and I've been reading that a braggot must be 50/50. It is essentially a braggot anyway, isn't it? I could bump up the malt extract to 2lb like the honey but im worried that'd taste like loam haha.

I suppose "technically" it wouldn't be considered a braggot but I'm sure it would still taste great. If you were to bump up the malt i would expect that you might consider changing the yeast you used. Maybe a champagne..?

to 2ndGenBrewer - is that because you think the alcohol tolerence of lavlin would be too low at 14% for this? I didn't expect this drink to even approach that :| I'm very happy if it's around that ABV. I do have champagne yeast luckily, EC - III8.

I think I may have to time the hops longer if I'm adding more malt. I'll try find other recipies to compare. Btw, you really think it'll only take 2 weeks? I've never made Mead before so I was expecting a minimum of 6 - 8 months but maybe that's for the 5 gall batches with more to ferment?

Well I'm not sure how fermentable the malt is, but if it's any where near as fermentable as honey or cane sugar then yes, if you increased the malt to the same as the honey your gravity would increase using d-47. You would end up with a much sweeter braggot. If you just divide the ingredients by 5 you'll be fine with D-47.

The last two batch's I just racked were one gallon and using EC-1118 the primary fermentation only took two weeks... I would recommend (like everyone on this forum) to rack after fermentation stops and will probably need to bulk age in the carboy for 4-6 months and an additional 6+ months in the bottle before it's good to drink. Also, the sticky is great for the staggered nutrient info. It's help me finish my primaryso quick.

I know that 1 pound of malt extract will raise your wort/must by about 0.008 for a 5 gall batch. I've read that you shouldn't exceed 1.150 (is that 15% ABV?) for high tolerance yeast and 1.120 for low tolerance yeast. It is unclear to me, but I'm wondering if the person I read that from meant OG for these numbers.

What is the sticky? Thanks

Sticky: Mead Making FAQs at the top of the Mead forum. It's a great FAQ.
As far as the yeast goes 1 package of yeast works great for as much 5 gallon to as low as 1. I'm kinda broke so I used only 1/2 package and made sure to properly hydrate the yeast. I know that everyone here uses SG but actually I tend to not follow that too much. I use the potenial ABV on the hydrometer so generally if I'm aiming for a dry I might add honey to the must till I get a 15% potenial ABV and then add levin 1122 (tolerance of 14%) and I tend to get a nice dry. If I want a semi-dry I add honey till the potenial is at 17% (same yeast) so on and so forth. My results have been spot on with the last 6 batches.

Of course that being said I use the same amount of nutrient each batch, hydrated the yeast the same duration, and keep a constant temp at 70 dregrees

I think dividing everything by 5 would work fine, but I dont' think there is any accurate calculator for 1 gallon batches, since any variation in liquid volume has a more significant impact on gravity. Take good hydrometer readings. If you were to use the whole 10 g of yeast, I don't think the nutrients would be necessary. I'm assuming the Lavlin is dry yeast? dry yeast packets usually have much higher cell counts and greater vigor than most liquid yeasts (depending on age of course). If I were making this, I would probably just reserve half of the yeast to pitch into the secondary.

Good point edstirling. How much success have you had with re-pitching in the secondary? I never had to try it.

I have done two imperial recipes at 1090 OG or so where I pitched champagne yeast into the secondary. One was a kit that included the champagne yeast for that purpose. It starts bubbling pretty quick and finishes pretty dry. I have never made a mead though, so that's probably why I don't use nutrients.

Ah ok. When making mead it is necessary to use nutrient due to the lack of protien and nitrogen needed for cell mitoses. If your making a braggot though I believe the malt would probably provide the needed nutrients

Back