Convert Doppelbock to an Ale - Please Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awar77

Reaction score
I made a mistake and have a Doppelbock kit and a Trappist Ale kit ready to brew this weekend. I only have one fermentation chamber to put my carboys in, so I need to convert either the lager to an ale or the ale to a lager...

The Doppelbock kit comes with:
6lb Pilsen LME
3.15lb Munich LME
3.15lb Dark LME
1lb Caramel 60*L
3 oz Mt Hood, 1 oz Hallertau
Wyeast Bavarian Lager #2206

Can I just swap the yeast out for an ale yeast? Should I visit my LHBS tomorrow and grab a few things to convert it to a different style?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you end up brewing both, put the Doppelbock in the chamber (assuming it's refrigerated and can maintain temps between 45*f and 55*f), and leave the trappist to ferment in a room 65*f to 75*f. If you can rig up a swamp cooler (a bucket with water and ice, and a towel to cover the fermenter) to keep temps steady at around 70*f for the ale you'll be ok. Do some reading on trappist fermentation... you'll feel better about things.

Could grab either WY1007 German ale, or the California lager(don't remember the WY#). You can ferment either in the low 60's range. But that's still not in the range you will probably want your trappist, and you don't really have enough time to build up a big lager-sized starter (you were planning on building a big starter with the WY2206, right?).
So, here's what I would do- use the chamber for the lager in the 50's, and a swamp cooler for the trappist in the mid 60's.
But, caveat- I've never done a trappist, so I can't comment with authority what temp you should ferment that at.
I guess I'm not much help....... Sorry.

I think I am going to add 1lb Dark Candi Sugar, swap the specialty grains for Belgian Cara and use Wyeast 1762 to convert it to something resembling a Belgian Dark Strong Ale. So the final recipe will be:

6 lb Pilsen LME
3.15 lb Munich LME
3.15 lb Dark LME
1 lb Dark Candi Sugar
1.5 oz Belgian Cara45
1 oz Hellertau 60 min
0.5 oz Mt Hood 30 min
0.5 oz Mt Hood 5 min
Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II

Back