Convert All Grain to Mini Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklawmusic

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'd like to do the following all grain recipe as a mini mash but I'm unsure of how you convert the amount of grain from all grain to mini mash. I'm aware that I'd top up the grain amount by using extract, but exactly how much is beyond me.

Here is the all grain recipe:

Type: All Grain

Date: 23/12/2007
Batch Size: 19.00 L

Brewer: Troy H
Boil Size: 21.75 L
Boil Time: 60 min
E Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 100.00 %
16.00 gm Williamette [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days)
16.00 gm Williamette [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
16.00 gm Williamette [5.50 %] (25 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
16.00 gm Williamette [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 7.2 IBU 1

Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [Starter 2 L] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG

Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.26 %
Bitterness: 24.5 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 8.4 EBC
Color: Color
Mash ProfileCarbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Corn Sugar)
Volumes of CO2: 1.8
Pressure/Weight: 30.9 gm
Carbonation Used: - Keg/Bottling
Temperature: 15.6 C
Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 11.1 C

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

if you can get your hands on maris otter extract, convert that 3.5kg maris otter to 2.5kg maris otter extract and then don't mash anything

if you can mash, say 2kg of grain, then you would supplement with about 1.25kg extract.

One approach:
1.25kg liquid pale extract

mini mash
1.75kg maris otter
0.25kg munich

what i'm to get to the extract number is taking the grain weight and multiplying by 0.75.

You would need 5.775 pounds or 2.6195 kg of Maris Otter liquid malt extract. Muntons and Maillard Malts both make one.

I can't get hold of maris otter extract in the UK... which is somewhat ironic given that maris otter barley is grown over here.

So, let me get this straight, I would need to mash 3kg of grain in total, then add 1.25kg of LME?

How would this be effected if I was going to top up the wort with water. I don't have the capacity to do a 5 gallon boil but I could do a 2.5-3 gallon boil.

I can't get hold of maris otter extract in the UK... which is somewhat ironic given that maris otter barley is grown over here.

So, let me get this straight, I would need to mash 3kg of grain in total, then add 1.25kg of LME?

How would this be effected if I was going to top up the wort with water. I don't have the capacity to do a 5 gallon boil but I could do a 2.5-3 gallon boil.

2kg in total plus the extract, not 3. the amount of grain you need would not be affected by your water volume if you can get a reasonable efficiency.
have you done a partial mash before?

Kind of odd that Muntons doesn't offer the Maris Otter extract in the UK!

I would get Amber or Medium LME. They come in 1.5kg or 1.8kg cans.
That leaves 1.5kg-1.1kg of Maris Otter grain that needs to be mashed, which should be easy in a 2 gallon pot.
Mash for 1 hour with the grain in a paint strainer bag at 66C-67C.
I prefer to get to temp on a stove top, then stick it in a warm oven.
Put it back on the stove, and bring to 76C.
Pull out the bag and squeeze the bejeebers out of it.
Suspend the bag in a colander over the pot, and pour 76C water over it to get the volume you want.
Bring to a boil and start your hop additions.
After an hour of boiling, turn out the flame and stir in the LME.
Cool. Transfer to your fermentor. Top off with bottled spring water.

I haven't done a partial mash before; I'm just exploring the possibility at the moment. It seems easy enough from what I've seen on YouTube.

Does it matter if I use tap water rather than bottled? I live in Yorkshire which has pretty good drinking water.

Also, I read in a book that LME has a twang to it more so than DME. Is that true?

Emmanuales | #WhatWouldJesusBrew?
nick-law.com

I haven't done a partial mash before; I'm just exploring the possibility at the moment. It seems easy enough from what I've seen on YouTube.

Does it matter if I use tap water rather than bottled? I live in Yorkshire which has pretty good drinking water.

Also, I read in a book that LME has a twang to it more so than DME. Is that true?

nick-law.com
DME will generally give you a better beer, IMO. It is more expensive, though. I find both to be generally bland and lacking of malt character moreso than I find a 'twang.' My two cents, anyways.

The reason I asked if you had partial mash is because I was going to take a minute to recommend finding a paint strainer bag.

IMO the key is getting a nice big paint strainer bag that you can stretch over the top of your pot. This gives you lots of grain-water contact, which is critical for a reasonable efficiency. If your grain is in a big blob in the middle of a too-small sack, then you're going to end up with a thin beer (low efficiency).

I would do a 50/50 blend of tap water and bottled-type water (maybe even distilled).

Thanks. That's really help, especially the terminology. Is partial mashing better than extract brewing?

nick-law.com

Thanks. That's really help, especially the terminology. Is partial mashing better than extract brewing?

nick-law.com
I think so. The closer you can get to all-grain, the better. My opinion anyways. Others probably disagree!

Scott Russell wrote North American Clone Brews, which is full of really good partial mash recipes. He has a blog too, with a few. http://www.vthomebrewguru.com/seeking-the-bluebird/

Thank for the link. Funnily enough, I discovered Bluebird when I went to Conistone on holiday a few years ago to the pub where it's brewed. It's actually one of my favourite beers.

I also come from and live in Sheffield too!

Might brew this recipe. The recipe at the top is a clone of a beer from Abbeydale brewery in Sheffield called Moonshine which is utterly delicious!

I definitely want to move away from extract towards all grain beer.

nick-law.com

Tap water is fine for the boil but using it to top off raises the chance of infection. I've rolled the dice and topped off with tap before and it came out fine, but I preferred bottled when I had the choice.

Thank for the link. Funnily enough, I discovered Bluebird when I went to Conistone on holiday a few years ago to the pub where it's brewed. It's actually one of my favourite beers.

I also come from and live in Sheffield too!

Might brew this recipe. The recipe at the top is a clone of a beer from Abbeydale brewery in Sheffield called Moonshine which is utterly delicious!

I definitely want to move away from extract towards all grain beer.

nick-law.com
What a cool coincidence! I think I'll give it a try now, too. I've been planning on doing a bitter. Now, when will I get to it?

Back