Control power on 2250 watt 120v element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in colorado water boils at 203. That wont cut it at sea level. Where you live matters. Op you seem well on your way, best luck. It will be costly but powerful. You can always use cheap parts. Ask auggie for more on that. Since all the parts are chinese made anyways he has knowledge of the differences if any. Basically a controller will cost 100 to 300 to build depending on where and what parts you buy.

I live in Cleveland Ohio. Things are coming along good. I’ve already made the decision, and have received my StillDragon controller. I can always upgrade later. I just need to get the right plugs/ receptacles and I’ll be good to go. I really do appreciate everyone’s help.

I live in Cleveland Ohio. Things are coming along good. I’ve already made the decision, and have received my StillDragon controller. I can always upgrade later. I just need to get the right plugs/ receptacles and I’ll be good to go. I really do appreciate everyone’s help.

Please post pics and results when you are done. I'm reading along and learning what direction I want to go.....hell, it's been 2 months. You are probably already drinking beer from this new setup!

IMG_1518.jpg
IMG_1517.jpg
IMG_1516.jpg
IMG_1416.jpg

No beer made just yet. Decided I wasn’t making any until I had everything covered. I did test the controller with 6 gallons of water though. Only took it to 120*, but it got there very quick. The controller does exactly what it’s intended to do and I would recommend it.

Kettle is ready. I just built the bench over the weekend. I have steam condenser parts in the mail and a conical in the mail. I refuse to boil anything down there until I have the steam solution ready as I have a basement that likes to accumulate moisture already. I don’t want to ferment until I have a temp control system ready. I should have a batch going in the next few weeks though. It is a tease looking at it all lol.

View attachment 609779View attachment 609780View attachment 609781View attachment 609782

No beer made just yet. Decided I wasn’t making any until I had everything covered. I did test the controller with 6 gallons of water though. Only took it to 120*, but it got there very quick. The controller does exactly what it’s intended to do and I would recommend it.

Kettle is ready. I just built the bench over the weekend. I have steam condenser parts in the mail and a conical in the mail. I refuse to boil anything down there until I have the steam solution ready as I have a basement that likes to accumulate moisture already. I don’t want to ferment until I have a temp control system ready. I should have a batch going in the next few weeks though. It is a tease looking at it all lol.

Nice looking brew bench looks rock solid!

I am from Cleveland area too. What kind of brews you plan on making?

The bench is very sturdy. I tossed around the idea of getting a stainless table, but I am very happy I went this route instead.

I got the idea here.
http:/www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-stand?page=3

My first all grain I either plan on doing from a kit, or going with the blonde or amber ale recipe from “how to brew”. Maybe an IPA to follow. Now sure yet.

I’m in eastlake, if your familiar.

You're right. I'm just making this up. It's not like I've been running a brewing hardware company for 9 years.
Bobby not to shoot you down, but i'm boiling perfectly fine with a single 1650watt element in a 10 gallon kettle wrapped in a couple layers of reflectix at practically below sea level. Without the reflectix its a gentle boil/simmer, but with the reflectix its a good comfortable rolling boil. You cant boil with the lid fully off, but with it partially on, i have no problem boiling 6.5-7 gallons.

2250watts should have no problem achieving a boil.

Last edited:
I’m happy I went with the 240 anyways though. Gives me room to grow if I decide to. And I put it close to my gas clothes dryer, if I ever decide to get an electric dryer I’ll be set.

Back