Control Panel Enclosure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mose

Reaction score
I don't if anyone is currently looking for an enclosure for their control panel but I found this last night on ebay and ordered one. From what I can see it should work fine. Not really a watertight NEMA box but since I'm cutting a bunch of holes in it I'm not to worried about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350117836633&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Once it arrives I'll post back if it's junk, or a good deal.

(Of course I've never built one of these so feel free to let me know if I bought a bad idea.)

Mose

You should find the box in the OP to be quite sturdy but it is not meant to be watertight (a little well placed silicone . The NEMA 12 control boxes are great. They will keep water out and you can get a backplate to make mounting components easy. I really like the hinged covers also.

You should find the box in the OP to be quite sturdy but it is not meant to be watertight (a little well placed silicone . The NEMA 12 control boxes are great. They will keep water out and you can get a backplate to make mounting components easy. I really like the hinged covers also.

Have you found a good (and cheap) source for backplates? I was going to fabricate one out of 1/4" plywood, but I'm lazier than I am cheap...

Have you found a good (and cheap) source for backplates? I was going to fabricate one out of 1/4" plywood, but I'm lazier than I am cheap...

I am an electrical contractor so I get mine from my suppliers. They are not very expensive (if you ignore that they are just a flat piece of steel with 4 holes punched on the corners). You could easily make one. Metal would be more difficult to make but I would avoid wood in an electrical enclosure (not that I haven't used it on my own projects).

Back