Contradicting grain bill weights.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joydivision

Reaction score
I ordered 9.3 pounds of grain at my local homebrew store. When I weighed the grains today and measured at 10.3 pounds. I don't know which one is most accurate so I compromised at 9.5 pounds. In other words, I put 9.5 Into the Sparge Pal. The difference between 9.3 pounds and 10.3 pounds for my mash and sparge recommendations was slight (.1-.3 differences.) Can a .1-.3 gallon difference have much effect on the taste?

Doubtful, hit your temps and youre good to go. I mash at whatever ratio tops up my 5 gallon tun. Havent had an issue and it holds temps really well. I usually only have a 1 degree drop, if anything, over 60 min mashes

Also just heat up some extra sparge water to make sure youll hit your preboil volume. Again i usually do enough to fill my tun and then just heat up an additional 5 gallons which is what my hlt also holds. Ii sually have some extra water.

I'm guessing you had the homebrew store mix all the grains together? If so, I would not do that in the future. That way, if they accidentally give you too much of one of the grains, you can use just as much as your recipe calls for.

also, scales can be different. 10lbs on one scale is different then the next. i bought a cheap one for 29.99 at a hardware store. it was off by 2lbs. now i always buy bulk and measure out with my scale. it may be off, but i'll always be off the same amount and i can adjust. i have a new scale too!!

Back