Continuous Brewing-Height of the spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KombuchaJim

Reaction score
I started a CB system and placed the spigot about 2/3 up the side. Now I am wondering if I am going to loose out on some of the benefits from various nutrients by not being able to tap into them.

I heat the brew with a flat pad on the bottom so I would like to think there is movement and a mixing of the whole batch.

I put the spigot higher than usual to avoid clogging and possibly created another issue?

Any thoughts on this?

007.jpg

You drilled the hole? I'd like to hear about that...

I don't do continuous brew, if I did, I'd want it a bit lower then that. I would think the ideal spot would be maybe about 1/5th the distance from the bottom to the top. Enough room above the bottom of the jar, that dead yeasts and other sediment won't come pouring out the spigot every time you open it up... Also, if there comes a day when you let your continuous brew go to long and it gets all vinegary , you may want a easy way to empty out most of the stuff inside.

Hi Joe,
I use a diamond hole cutter (Home depot and lowes sell them) to drill my holes. I learned the hard way to let the weight of the drill do the work and not push too hard or I would end up chipping or cracking the jar as the final hole piece breaks off.

When starting the hole, I run the drill up to half speed before I touch the side of the container. I gently get the hole going to keep the drill from walking and scratching up the glass.

I also make water structuring devices and used the drill to create lines to move the water from one container to the vortex unit.

Once you get your drill bit, practice on a canning jar to find where where the stress points are so you do not damage your brewing jar.

I ended up using 2-2 gallon anchor hocking jars and put the spigots 2 inches up from the bottom for my continuous brewers. The literature I found suggests the wide tops will be fine with the depth of the jars.

Have fun.

Back