Contemplating delving into small batch brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pataka

Reaction score
Hi all

I've got a batch of Feijoa Wine in my 1 gallon secondary fermenter at the moment, and am contemplating what I might use it for once it's done. I've tried my luck at cider, with consistent results (as in, every batch I've tried has failed) and have always harboured a desire to brew my own beer. I only have one fermenter, and it's a 1 gallon carboy. Like I imagine all brewers do at some point, I have dreams about garage sales, abandoned warehouses, friends who are shifting houses and selling their 'junk', and other situations that would otherwise be conducive to discovering unwanted fermenters. Right now, I've got just the one.

Small batch brewing has always appealed to me, but while it seems to be more widely accepted, what I've found is that the majority of people who talk about it use either all grain or DME-based recipes. I like the convenience of using LME, particularly where there is no boiling involved.

Do people divide cans of LME to make a small batch? I imagine you could freeze the remainder, and presumably, divide the yeast up as well.

I'd like to make sure I know that the idea doesn't have some fundamental flaws before I'd attempt it.

Its a fine idea. LME can divided up without worry. It doesn't need to be frozen after its been opened. I would also boil my wort, even if you're using hopped extract. Dry yeast can be saved in the open package if you put it in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator. Small batch brewing is a good way to try out home brewing.

A bucket isn't very expensive. Either are the plastic water jugs for water coolers. I know some people who enjoy 1 gal batches, but in my opinion it's not worth the trouble

Back