Contaminated wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindyc

Reaction score
I just transferred wine that has been aging from my car boy into wine bottles that I cleaned but did not sterilize :(
I am planning on transferring the wine BACK into my cleaned & STERILIZED Car boy so as to reclean & sterilize my wine bottles- shall I add metabasulfite to the wine in the car boy after I transfer it & if so how much & is this even a good idea?
I’m trying to save my wine it’s really good!
Btw I added a couple shots of makers mark to it some months ago so it’s got some alcohol content.

Late reply but....
What's done is done. The bottles were already clean, but you have exposed them to possible/probable contamination. Going back, emptying them out, sterilizing the bottles and putting the win back in will not accomplish anything. Well, it will accelerate oxidation, there is that (LOL). You could add sulfite to the bottled wine - I'd probably bring it up to at least 30ppm and just drink your wine fairly quickly.
For re-asurance, my wife used to make her wine and beer and never sterilize, only clean well and rinse the bottles (back in the day of limited chlorine based disinfectants to use so avoided them) and never had a problem really. But the sauce never hung around for more than a year.....

Chris

Back