Contaminated deep freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor310

Reaction score
So I bought a deep freezer off Craigslist for fermentation. The previous owner used it for bait, and let's just say initially it didn't smell great. I've cleaned the whole thing with bleach but it still smells slightly... Off.

I can try making a good few more passes with some bleach and see what happens, but what is the likelihood I will never get this clean enough that it won't have an impact on the beer I brew?

I don't really want to try and flip this one just to look for another one again.

Some time the smell gets into the insulation and will never come out

only if you literally ferment your beer INSIDE that freezer.
Think of it this way, do my homebrews get any off flavors from sitting on my dirty kitchen floor? Or the bunch of brewers who ferment in dirty-er unfinished basements or garages?

charcoal and baking soda, this might not work if its soaked into the insulation but if not it will, buy a bag of charcoal, open the bag lay it in the bottom, also a box of baking soda, lay it on the flat side, open it up to show as much surface as possible, close it up for 7 days, then turn it on for 3, it should absorb most of the smell, good luck

I was also think of buying 3 spiedel fermenters tobuse in this chest freezer. I'm hoping that's sealed enough that it wouldnt take in any contamination.

Vinegar, 1 gallon across 4 bowls

close it and let it sit for a week

Remove the lid liner. If there's a batt of fiberglass insulation within, rip it out, wash down the lid interior with a weak bleach solution, and replace the insulation with new.

Otoh, if the lid is lined with rigid foam, you can try the bleach thing on it and hope for the best, or go all in and carve out the foam and replace it...

Cheers!

When all else fails....

image.png

Latest posts

Back