Container for hydrometer readings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel82

Reaction score
The container I used to hold my beer for gravity readings broke and I have been searching for a replacement with no luck. I went all over walmart and the closest I came was a skinny vase that was a little short. I've considered rain gages but can't find one shaped right. I don't know where in town they would sell graduated cylinders or anything similar.

I'm sure there is a simple solution to my problem and I know the good people of HBT can help. So where did y'all get your equipment from?

We have neither stores in my area. There is one an hour and a half away but I figured there may be a simple answer I could find anywhere.

Use the tube your hydro came in. Two turkey basters full and there is enough to take a reading:mug:

I just got the plastic test cylinder from austin homebrew. Only $5 and works great. I like that the bottom comes off for easy cleaning and sanitization.

If you're looking explicitly locally, I'm not sure where might have them?

All I've learned from hydrometers is that they will break, and never to use hot liquids on them. I'm now on my 3rd or 4th hydrometer, and I'm using it with a LHBS supplied glass tube. It is all very delicate, yes. It is easy to clean and uses less beer than even the plastic tube that the hydrometer was bought in (which is still a good tube to measure in).

Ok I'll try the tube that it came with until I order another kit online. I would hate to pay 5 dollars shipping on a 5 dollar product.

I just got the plastic test cylinder from austin homebrew. Only $5 and works great. I like that the bottom comes off for easy cleaning and sanitization.

If you're looking explicitly locally, I'm not sure where might have them?

I have this one but just started using my thief because it would leak. I guess I could seal it somehow but as soon as I would put my beer in it would start leaking out of the bottom.

Back