Contact time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzarkPA

Reaction score
I have a question about sanitizing - when star san says a 1-2 minute contact time, does that mean spray on and let sit for 1-2 minutes, or does that mean I have to make 5 gallons and let it sit in my fermenter for 1-2 minutes and then dump the whole thing out? Seems silly to dump the whole thing, but I haven't seen anything that actually defines what 'contact time' is!

Contact time is defined by the amount of time the Star-san is in physical contact with whatever surface you are trying to sanitize. Regardless of whether you are spraying it on a surface, or mixing some in vessel you are sanitizing, wait 1-2 minutes and then it will be properly sanitized.

Fill and dump works.

You can also fill and swirl.

Or maybe fill and twirl.

Or fill and shake.

You can do what I love doing....fill and then plug with your finger (beer bottle). I don't care how old I get I am always amazed by suction.:ban:

Just don't fill and drink :mug:

You can absolutely spray and wait 3 minutes, then turn the carboy on its side and let the inside dry. I've not found spray to be effective with a carboy, so maybe half-fill and swirl. Or fill the whole way and let it sit.

Remember though, that star-san is a SANITIZER, not a cleaning agent. If you have anything larger than a couple of microorganisms, star san won't take care of that. I let the whole thing soak in oxyclean for 30 minutes before I sanitize. It's a two step process.

I only put a quart or two in my fermenter and shake it up. The foam that Star San creates also sanitizes. I generally only make 2.5 gallons per brew session ( 2.5 gallons of water plus .5 oz of Star San ). I'd make less but it's easier measure the .5 oz on the Star San jug.

You only need wet contact time, not soaking. FWIW, Charley Talley (from 5-Star Chemicals) says that you only need 30 seconds of wet time, the 1-2minutes is required by the FDA. Don't let it dry, it won't hurt your beer...

Well - the horse's mouth is where it seems logical to start. An ounce (max?) of spray vs. 5 gallons is quite a variation! I'm using one of the 5 gallon plastic buckets, so even distribution on the surface is a lot easier than a carboy.

I spray on all the time. Works great and I only use ~ 1-2 ozs. Many, many batches done this way and I've never had an infected batch.

When sanitizing the fermenter I clean throughly with a good cleaner and spray the inside, including inside the spigot, lid, etc. I do use the fill and dump method with my kegs as it's impossible to get into all the small areas with a sprayer. However, I only fill up with 2.5 gallons and cut the recommended dosage in half. Instead of dumping it down the drain, just pour it into a couple of sprayers that way your not wasting.

Back