Consistency in Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bufordtjones

Reaction score
I've finally become addicted to the hobby long enough to have developed a decent stockpile of various homebrew (oldest being 6 months, youngest in bottle about 6 weeks). I've recently finished off the first case of a Wheat Beer that I consider my first "real beer" (the first one made once I cleared the learning curve).

One thing I have noticed is that each bottle has not been consistent. Now let me be clear, I appreciate that homebrew is not consistent and if I wanted the same beer every time I would buy a commercial brew, but sometimes the variation within my homebrew is significant.

What factors lead to this inconsistency? I store all bottle the same, in dark places at a temperature around 75 degrees.

I understand that a beer matures with age, but how far along before maturation is complete (assuming I'm not aging beer for years)?

Am I overlooking something?

The main difference in bottle conditioned beer will be the priming. Are you bulk priming and getting the sugar mixed with the beer well before bottling?

A slight difference in carbonation level will effect how you perceive each beer. Other than that they should be the same.

Back