Considering upgrading to brewing system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerhog

Reaction score
My local home brew got a shipment of Anvil foundries and i started thinking about upgrading from my partial mash brewing. One thing that concerns me is the reports of brewers posting low efficiency. I wanted to hear from folks that brew on their systems what to expect, and is it really worth it. What efficiency should i realistically expect from such a system? Do those systems provide better efficiency than brew in a bag? I know there different efficiencies being talked about and I'm still hazy which is which, but if i were to ask you to make 5 gallons of 1.050 gravity wort using just 2-row barley alone how many lbs of grain would you need on your rig?

Well, I mean just in general. I would imagine all of those brew systems are similar plus or minus some features. I mentioned anvil, because that is what my lhbs has.

While I don’t brew on an anvil, I do brew with a brewers edge mash and boil unit without the recirculating pulp. I love it. I line the mash pipe with a wilser bag and use a single infusion mash. With my corona mill, I’m in a 75-80% efficiency. I imagine it’s similar enough to the anvil.

I didn’t know I wanted my rig until I opened it last Christmas. I had just dialed in my stovetop process and was slightly bummed until I read up on it. The all in ones are pretty legit.

I have a Brewer's edge mash and boil no pump version, and love it. My typical water to grain ratio is 1.5 -1.75 qt/#. And I'm getting brew house efficiency in the 75-80% range consistently. I typically brew 3.25 G batches with OG from 1.040 to 1.065. IMO you can't go wrong with any of the all in one systems. For me the decision was easy because I didn't want a pump and all the extra hassle of a million bells and whistles. I wanted simplicity, so the mash and boil was the ticket and it was the best brewing gear investment I've made so far.

I love my Brewzilla 65L...it's made brewing so much easier! I just have to dial in my numbers a little bit better but my first two brews came out great!

No more lugging hot water to the mash tun or hot wort to the stove! Easy decision!

we gotta work on your skills! ;) (that's like three bucks a week you could be saving!!! figuring a reasonable amount like 5 liters a day)

edit: damn, that's $150 a year!!!!

Brand new system...on my old cooler mash tun I was consistently getting 78-80%. Just have to dial it in and make some adjustments.

Brand new system...on my old cooler mash tun I was consistently getting 78-80%. Just have to dial it in and make some adjustments.

i've lost track of the OP.....but i've been preaching the use of a second step mash at 162f....bumped me from 83% to 88-90%

hope you get it dialed in..i have to take naps during brew day, and yes i say plural....

i've lost track of the OP.....but i've been preaching the use of a second step mash at 162f....bumped me from 83% to 88-90%

hope you get it dialed in..i have to take naps during brew day, and yes i say plural....

Just takes time and brews...with three kids under 4 I'm lucky to brew once or twice a quarter...also, not sharing as many brews because ya know, Rona.

Thanks guys for answering, that made my decision easier.

Could you point me to where I can read up on 162f second step mash?

My local home brew got a shipment of Anvil foundries and i started thinking about upgrading from my partial mash brewing. One thing that concerns me is the reports of brewers posting low efficiency. I wanted to hear from folks that brew on their systems what to expect, and is it really worth it. What efficiency should i realistically expect from such a system? Do those systems provide better efficiency than brew in a bag? I know there different efficiencies being talked about and I'm still hazy which is which, but if i were to ask you to make 5 gallons of 1.050 gravity wort using just 2-row barley alone how many lbs of grain would you need on your rig?
Maybe a little late to the party, but here's my nickel worth of free advice....

I have a Brewie system. Notorious for crappy efficency. But i dialed it in over tine.
I think the best advice i can give you is.. do you mill your own grain? By experimenting with the crush size you might find efficency vary up to 10% or so.
So... i would advise you- if you are that concerned about efficency, plan on buying a mill if you have not yet done so.
If you have a mill, then i say go for it! I think the reason the all-in-one electric systems seem to be popping up all over is because they are so nice to use.

Now... to answer your question... it depends! Make your first brew a basic SMASH and check your numbers. If you are low on OG, adding an extra 4 ounces to 1 pound of base malt may make your numbers up.
(For my Brewie, i usually add 10% more grain or so. Depending on type of grain it can vary ((aka wheat vs. 2-row vs. Morebeer Viking malt)). I get lazy sometimes and dont want to adjust my mill. For an extra $1.05 or of grain, i can hit my numbers. )

Grain crush does make a difference. I don't have my own mill, but I buy all my ingredients from Atlantic brew supply, and double mill all my grains. I think as long as you get your grain from the same place and always mill the same way, you can get your system dialed in to a particular efficiency and then adjust your recipes if needed to hit the numbers you're after.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for answering, that made my decision easier.

Could you point me to where I can read up on 162f second step mash?

doesn't require much reading.....
enzyme_activity_one_hour_mash.jpg

one thought i have is that, at 162f maybe more starch gets gel'd, and alpha hasn't been denatured.....

edit: and there is no reading...it's my own thing i thought up to get better effec, with my home malt....was getting poor results in the mid to upper 70's with my home malt....so i thought why not a second step for alpha amylase, and walla! i started getting 80's with home malt, and consistent 88-90 with store bought....

Hey all, reading the thread with interest. @Bane, I like what is posted on braukaiser.com regarding multi step mashes. http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Infusion_Mashing. I have a RIMs system and benefit from the ability to do step mashes that way and I often follow the "Hochkurz" profile (see the site). But for my Saisons, I will start off with a ferrulic rest at 113°F for 20 minutes to accentuate that phenolic character and step up from there. Overall my step mashing has moved me from 65-70% efficiency to 80%+ efficiency, depending on the beer.

Latest posts

Back