Connections for a Shirron Plate Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTDuffman

Reaction score
My In-Laws got me a Plate chiller for my birthday (tangent: one of my favorite things about this hobby is that I can share it with others, who in turn are eager/willing to buy me equipment and such as presents because they know it will benefit them in the long run).

the problem I am running into is with the connectors for the wort side. They are 1/2" male NPT (I think, this stuff gets confusing to me) ports. My tubing is high temperature whatever that is (it's braided or something? Sorry, I'm not super technical) but it's 1/4" ID.

So basically what I think I'm looking for here is a 1/2" FPT x 1/4" Barb fitting, two of them actually.

1) Is this an accurate assessment?
2) Does such a fitting exist? I went to Home Depot and they didn't have anything. They had 1/2" FPT x 1/2" Barb. I guess I could start using 1/2" ID hose, but that seems big plus my other stuff (like my brew kettle) has the 1/4" or 3/8" fittings.

Advice is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Are you sure your hoses aren't 3/8" ID? That's much more common. You'll need a 1/2" NPT female to 3/8" hose barb adapter.

Something like this, but it would be cool to see if any of the vendors that hang out around here have them instead. Gotta think local, right? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a Shirron Plate Chiller as well...
The wort connections are 1/2" NPT
The water connections are 3/4" Garden Hose Thread. The pitch of the threads are much wider than NPT and I had to import special adapters from the USA (I live in South Africa)
Beware of putting the wrong connectors on the water side. You will cross thread the plate chiller and it will be stuffed
Browse on ebay... you will find the required fittings quickly

Back