Conical modifications, looking to add a chiller..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasttimes

Reaction score
I'm a noob to brewing and right now I'm doing my batches in plastic carboys and having fun with it. That being said, I've received a nice 7-gal Morebeer conical as a gift to expand my beer making hobby. It has an leg extension kit and wheel casters, and looks awesome in a mad scientist kind of way. It's impressive looking for sure. Problem is, here in south Florida it needs to be chilled to be used. My options are to either put it in a full size fridge, or some how modify the conical to chill it's self. I do not have the room for another appliance in my garage, so I need to go with the second choice.

After looking over how the upgraded self-chillin conicals chill I'm pretty confident I could modify this one with the addition of a thermochiller and fan. The only piece to the equation I need to really figure out is the curved stainless mounting plate that the chiller would need to attach to and mount to the curved walls of the conical. Morebeer has told us they wouldn't sell the pieces separately. Go figure? Any ideas on how to get a plate for the conical? I guess we could try to get a machine shop to make one? Any ideas? Thanks. :mug:

Brewpastor had an immersion chiller that he ran glycol through submersed inside his conicals. Or you could jacket one....But either way you are looking at a glycol power pack which will get pricey.

The external plates only drop a little from ambient and I can imagine when Florida is up in the upper 90s or more you will have a tough time keeping that temp down, but then with a 7 gallon you might be able to pull it off.......who knows. It gets hot and nasty down there, so I'll check back in to see what you decide on

Back