Conical Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been brewing for over two years now and have been using a bucket system. It's time for me to move on to the next step, save some time and hassle and increase my production level. I would like to purchase a conical fermentor. Im looking for something that can do at least 10 gallon batches and has (if possible) temperature control. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for under $500?

Thanks much.

Well you could certainly get a 10g conical fermenter for under 500. But a used fridge? Maybe be in the 700 range?

My advice to you would be to save up a little more and get a conical with pressure capabilites, that will make a world of difference to you beer's quality (keywords spunding and zero oxygen ingress).

My advice to you would be to save up a little more and get a conical with pressure capabilites, that will make a world of difference to you beer's quality (keywords spunding and zero oxygen ingress).
Agreed. Don't waste your money on a non pressurizable conical. Cheers

Probably not bad advice. However, I happened to pick up two used non-pressure 12.5 gallon stainless conicals. I think they are early Spikes. Besides being inexpensive, they are lighter weight, which is nice for me anyway, as I have to haul them out of cellar to clean.

By racking to kegs (with proper timing) in closed transfer and spunding in the kegs, one can get by without the ability to pressurize primary fermentor without compromising beer.

Probably not bad advice. However, I happened to pick up two used non-pressure 12.5 gallon stainless conicals. I think they are early Spikes. Besides being inexpensive, they are lighter weight, which is nice for me anyway, as I have to haul them out of cellar to clean.

By racking to kegs (with proper timing) in closed transfer and spunding in the kegs, one can get by without the ability to pressurize primary fermentor without compromising beer.

Your definitely correct but that can also be done using carboys so not really a big upgrade from that standpoint. If you get one used for a big discount I guess it's a decent option but buying new I feel the price is so close there's no point not getting a unitank. Cheers

Latest posts

Back