Conical fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SS is worth the investment because it lasts a lifetime. as mentioned above these aren’t really a need ,more of a want but it does have a lot of capabilities and looks badass in the brew room.
I can spund, dump trub, harvest yeast, pressure ferment, carb under pressure ferment or connect gas and carb that way. Connect glycol to coil, drink out of the sample port, closed pressure transfer to kegs. With trub dumped, I can make another beer and dump it on top of the yeast cake & clean in place

SS is worth the investment because it lasts a lifetime. as mentioned above these aren’t really a need ,more of a want but it does have a lot of capabilities and looks badass in the brew room.
I can spund, dump trub, harvest yeast, pressure ferment, carb under pressure ferment or connect gas and carb that way. Connect glycol to coil, drink out of the sample port, closed pressure transfer to kegs. With trub dumped, I can make another beer and dump it on top of the yeast cake & clean in place
Like I say Home brewing the new HiFi. Its not what you make its they way that you make it 🤣

Truth be known, at the end of the day you can brew excellent beer in a plastic bucket. They are inexpensive. After multiple uses, you can simply discard them and buy a new one. For pennies on the dollar as opposed to a Stainless Conical.

In Hi-Fi terms, it is wise to put your money where you can hear the difference. Speakers. Even lower end stereo amplifiers will sound great with good speakers. But a McIntosh will not sound so great on cheap speakers.

Stainless is nice. Easy to care for, lasts a long time.

I would do whatever fits your budget. Spend a little or spend a lot.

If you want to go to non-disposable SS, but don’t want to drop $$$ for a conical , an Anvil bucket fermentor is a nice, low cost investment that will last forever

If you want to go to non-disposable SS, but don’t want to drop $$$ for a conical , an Anvil bucket fermentor is a nice, low cost investment that will last forever

Can't buy those here but it is made in China too so no different to most of the other stuff. It is more or less identical to so many other things on the market made in China and give several names. You would have to go over all these things with a micrometer and a microscope to spot differences they are that minimal. People think these things are made in the US are being misled the parent company may be US but that Anvil gear is Chinese, as is Grainather ,Brewmonk , beerzilla the list goes on and on. I buy stuff now from reputable well known Germany companies... all Chinese manufactured but you have to find the mark. Not that there is anything at all wrong with that their stuff can be very good... just look at the guitars the make in most cases excellent bang for buck. They are by and large an intelligent people and western companies recognise that and supply them with the most up to date machines and tooling to knock out cheap goods of high quality.

Brewing is like any other hobby, spend a little or spend a lot - whatever it takes to brew the beer you like and enjoy the brewing part. Over time you can upgrade as you see fit with what you want to invest in plastic or stainless or better sounding speakers.

Exactly! I just upgraded my fermentation monitoring ... bought a second hand larder fridge and an Ink bird controller ... €70 for the two. My wife was bending my ear you would be better off buying a new fridge... I say why €300 for the same fridge?? Even if I only get a year out of the thing I buy another one second hand there are loads of them out there and there is no guarantee a new one will be any more reliable than an old one.

Last edited:
Back