Confusion around most recent BYO issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko73

Reaction score
Hi folks,

The most recent issue of BYO is all about brewing with Extract. One of the articles is a pictorial of a brew day using Extract. The author said to add the Malt Extract when the water hit 180 degrees and then bring to a boil.

I was always under the impression that you added the Malt Extract after the water came to a boil (killing the heat to avoid scorching.)

Just wondering, does anyone else add the Extract before the water comes to a boil, or I guess the better question, does it matter?

Just looking for a reality check. I am thinking to add the extract when the water is 180 would be a lot easier than adding it after the water comes to a boil.

I dont see the reason to bring it to a boil first, or even 180F,

just add it when you remove the steeping grains, than bring to a boil

why even wait untill its coming to boil though? you can add it at room temp. and i see no negatives coming from it

Ive always waited for the water to come to a boil, then kill the heat and add the extract. That's just the way I was taught. Personally, I don't think it matters either way as long as the water is hot to encourage the extract to dissolve in the water. Colder water just takes longer for it to dissolve.

I wait until its just about boiling especially if it is LME. My justification is that the hot water will lower the viscosity of the LME which will make it easier to stir and dissolve in. Adding it when the water is less warm may promote undissolved LME sinking to the bottom and getting scorched when bringing water up to boiling temperature. But I don't think its really that big of a deal either way

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ARE YOU BOILING HOPS????????

If you are boiling hops for 60 minutes, you don't want to boil the DME that long or it will caramelize....

(right?);)

Not that I mind a little more caramelization...........

Is that right?

For dry extract, you would definitely want to add it when the water's still cool or right after your done steeping your grains. It is much easier than waiting until the boil. The steam from the boil cause the DME to clump up before hitting the water making it more difficult to dissolve.

I don't see any reason to wait until the water is boiling for liquid extract other that what ArtVandelay said about viscosity. Just be careful of any extract stuck to the bottom of your kettle, it will scorch. As long as everything's dissolved into the water, there will be no scorching.

Wait, so this is the latest and greatest from BYO and they are still recommending adding DME/LME at the BEGINNING of the boil??????

I thought late-extract addition was the way to add extract these days (i.e. add the majority of extract towards the END of the boil)...:confused:

Glad I don't spend good money on BYO...sounds like they are a bit behind the times...:D

Actually BYO has had some fantastic issues. They are usually on the cutting edge.

I just wonder if they are only talking about a 30 minute boil.

Doesn't LME darken more the longer it's heated? Just a thought, maybe I'm wrong, but if it's true then waiting to add it until the boil would be better just because it'd be heated for less time. IIRC that's why the second addition of extract is added near the end of the boil, right?

I don't profess to know, so if my logic is wrong I'd prefer to be corrected sooner rather than later.

- Tim

Doesn't LME darken more the longer it's heated? - Tim

It does, but that's of no practical significance unless you brewing
for competition and need the color of a light pilsener or cream ale
to be very light, or if you are just anal retentive about things like
color. I think all of this "no boil" stuff about extract came about
because of fears of the non-existent "twang" that malt extract
is supposed to give you, and boiling less somehow mitigates a
"problem" that doesn't really exist in the first place.

I sometimes mix the malt extract with water in a crock pot on low
with occasional stirring until I'm ready to dump it in boil. That's just
to prevent it from sinking to the bottom and scorching too much,
not because I care about the color.

Ray

Wait, so this is the latest and greatest from BYO and they are still recommending adding DME/LME at the BEGINNING of the boil??????

I thought late-extract addition was the way to add extract these days (i.e. add the majority of extract towards the END of the boil)...

Glad I don't spend good money on BYO...sounds like they are a bit behind the times...

They give directions for both a partial boil and full boil. The add all the extract up front for the full boil, do late addition for the partial.

I am not bashing BYO, I think it is a great mag. I was just wondering if the thinking changed.

Latest posts

Back