Confused keg parts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfiebrew

Reaction score
Hey guys I just bought some old kegs and was going to start kegging for the first time. When I removed the keg posts the poppets are underneath some sort of triangular looking screw thing.... Is this ok /normal? I thought the poppets would just fall out ? See pic.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404668407.040411.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1404668418.540295.jpg

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think that triangle thing is in fact the base of the poppet. It is probably just stuck. As you can see here:

google images of poppets

I would push in on the top of the poppet with a skinny screw driver (or similar) to push it out.

Thanks Michael :)

You were right... Whatta newb I am...lol
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404668946.198012.jpg

Also the beverage tube that goes to the bottom of the keg is straight not bent like others I've seen? Is this common?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

We have all been there! I haven't been kegging that long myself, but all 9 of my kegs have the bent liquid out tubes that "rest" in a small well in the center bottom of the keg. That said, I have heard of the ones with offset wells and straight tubes. Just based on my limited experience I think that they are indeed less common.

I've got both sorts of dip tube, straight and angled. As long as they are ending up in the lowest point of the keg, life is good!

Back