confused and sorta sober

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldstyle69

Reaction score
so im trying to put together a new mash tun from a 10gal cooler...

im retarded and dont really understand the NPS thing when looking at the brass nipple or pipe...the diameter on the hole in the cooler is 1".

that seems pretty big when looking at 1" nipples at home depot. any input on this retardedness?

:drunk::confused:

I think when I did my conversion I used a 3/8" x 1.5" brass nipple and it fit snugly. 1" seems ridiculously large.

Fittings are sized based on inside diameter (ID) rather than outside diameter (OD). A 1 inch nipple has an OD close to 1 1/4 inches. Try a 3/4 nipple for your cooler and how it fits.

thats kind of what i was thinking. i may just take the whole damn thing in with me and see whats what.

i always take those little parts into the store.. both the lowes and HD by me have all of the different sizes mounted on the wall so you can screw it in and see which one it fits into

yeah, think i got it under control. and its the big parts that i need to take in to get fitted. the stupid hole on the cooler is the problem. knowing its a 1" hole and looking at 1" parts made me double check. im gonna take my measuring thingy in and do some work in store.

Back