Confirmation of closed transfer process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpakstis

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I’m re-evaluating my processes after several lackluster and downright awful NEIPAs. I used to siphon from a plastic bucket fermenter into my keg. I am currently fermenting a NEIPA in a new Anvil SS fermenter and I’m looking into a closed transfer process that works for me with the equipment I have. Here are the steps I’m contemplating:

1. Fill keg with Star-san solution and let sit for a couple of minutes;
2. Push out solution with CO2 to bucket to remove all oxygen;
3. Connect fermenter to keg via “out” (ie beer) post;
4. Connect CO2 line to fermenter (I’m going to run a tube through the stopper hole);
5. Connect keg “in” (ie gas) post to tubing that exhausts into solution in bucket;
6. Turn regulator to 1PSI and push beer into fermenter, which then pushes keg CO2 into solution bucket.

Does that make sense?

Fairly complete.
You could also feed the airlock during fermentation to the liquid out keg, and then the gas in on keg to jug of star san. The free CO2 fermentation gas will purge the keg. It does require having a keg available during the entire ferment however.
Also, once you've started the flow, you could run from keg gas in up to the stopper where the push-start CO2 was, and the liquid leaving goes into keg, displacing CO2, back into headspace of fermenter.

That's what I do except I push the StarSan into another keg instead of a bucket. Then for the next brew I push that StarSan into yet another keg and repeat the process.

Hi everyone - I’m re-evaluating my processes after several lackluster and downright awful NEIPAs. I used to siphon from a plastic bucket fermenter into my keg. I am currently fermenting a NEIPA in a new Anvil SS fermenter and I’m looking into a closed transfer process that works for me with the equipment I have. Here are the steps I’m contemplating:

1. Fill keg with Star-san solution and let sit for a couple of minutes;
2. Push out solution with CO2 to bucket to remove all oxygen;
3. Connect fermenter to keg via “out” (ie beer) post;
4. Connect CO2 line to fermenter (I’m going to run a tube through the stopper hole);
5. Connect keg “in” (ie gas) post to tubing that exhausts into solution in bucket;
6. Turn regulator to 1PSI and push beer into fermenter, which then pushes keg CO2 into solution bucket.

Does that make sense?

I also have Anvil buckets and was thinking about doing a closed x-fer when I keg this weekend. Did you just insert a tube into the airlock hole and connect the other end to the CO2? If so, what size tube, and overall how did it work?

Latest posts

Back