Coney Dogs - Dallas, TX?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXCrash

Gunshy
Reaction score
Spent a bit of time in the Flint, MI area. Only thing I miss are the coney dogs. Surely there's a place in the Dallas area that makes a good Flint or Detroit style coney dog?

Those who haven't had them - if you're in the Flint or Detroit area - don't! You'll find yourself browsing the koegel website thinking about paying for overnight shipping for F'n hot dogs...

Looked and looked back home (Oregon), couldn't find anything. Pretty new here - most look at me like I aught to pass the pipe when I mention coney dogs.

I'm surprised they know what you're talking about. I know Corn Dogs, but coney I only know through Sonic.

What on earth were you doing up in Flint? lol. I grew up 45 mins from there and it's never been the safest place. Haha.

But yeah... Koegels... friggin' SCRUM-DIDDLY-UMPTIOUS. :)

A coney dog can best be described to the uninitiated as a chili dog.... On crack. Flint style is a dry sauce which contains ground beef (hearts I think), some ground hot dogs (always koegels), some coffee grounds... sounds gross but they're amazing. Detroit style are similar but it's a wet sauce.

I was in Flint to help a family member of the wife. We were newlyweds, I had nothing better to do... The people were (generally) nasty and angry but the food (halo burger and coney dogs) was great.

Wow, when I think coney all I think of is coney island and Nathan's. You know where that great hot dog eating contest is held every fourth of July.

A coney dog can best be described to the uninitiated as a chili dog.... On crack. Flint style is a dry sauce which contains ground beef (hearts I think), some ground hot dogs (always koegels), some coffee grounds... sounds gross but they're amazing. Detroit style are similar but it's a wet sauce.

I was in Flint to help a family member of the wife. We were newlyweds, I had nothing better to do... The people were (generally) nasty and angry but the food (halo burger and coney dogs) was great.

That sounds great, down here it's just a chili dog.

DROOOOLLLL....

From Lafayette- The home of the DEETROIT Coney.

413395305_0997d0450e.jpg

Houston has a bunch of them, but evidently not in Dallas...

I think a care package is in order. Maybe some family member will ship you some kogels and some national's chilli...

FYI-Detroit Coney Islands are an institution unto themselves. They're highly tied into the Greek and Alabanian communites.

Coney Islands are a unique type of Greek American restaurant that originated at Todoroff's Original Coney Island in Jackson, Michigan in 1914. Two Coney Island restaurants later opened in 1917, including American Coney Island in downtown Detroit, established by Greek immigrant Gust Keros in 1917. Keros and his brother got into an argument quite soon after and split their restaurant into two parts--the present day Lafayette and American Coney Islands, which are next door to each other. Both restaurants are still owned by the descendents of the two Keros brothers.

coneyisland01.jpg

Gust and Bill had a third, younger brother, Sotirios, who stayed in Greece. Sotirios's sons came to America, worked in Lafayette and American Coney Island, and eventually started a number of restaurants of their own, most notably Kerby's Koney Island, still owned by them today. They remain one of the few coney islands owned by their original families.

Typical menu
Two of the most popular items on the coney island menu are the Gyro and The Coney. Gyros or gyro (pronounced /ˈjɪəroʊ/, not /ˈdʒaɪroʊ/, Greek: γύρος "turn") is a Greek fast food. French fries are a common side dish. Sometimes the name is applied to the form of the sandwich (pita wrapped around filling) rather than to the filling itself, and sometimes the name "souvlaki" is applied to the sandwich.

The second main dish is a Coney Island hot dog, a hot dog with chili, diced yellow onion, and yellow mustard.

Coney Islands have developed a distinctive dining style that has been repeated in hundreds of different restaurants throughout the metropolitan Detroit area. Coney Islands often serve breakfast all day. The leading suppliers to Coney restaurants in southeast Michigan is Alexander & Hornung located in St. Clair Shores, and Koegel Meat Company, located near Flint, Michigan, which makes the preferred Vienna variety of hot dog for Coneys with natural casings and markets the Detroit variety of Coney sauce and the drier Flint variety of Coney sauce.

Growth of the Coney Island restaurant
Since the owner of the first restaurant did not trademark the name or business plan, other restaurants began using the same name and formula. Most Coneys in the Detroit area are still owned by Macedonian, Greek or Albanian immigrants and other menu items include gyros and Greek salads, as well as corned beef and Reuben sandwiches. Other fare is usually typical of a "greasy spoon." Depending on the restaurant, other Greek and Mediterranean dishes such as Shish Kebab, Souvlaki, Spanakopita, and Saganaki can be found at a Coney Island. These restaurants also carry other regional items such as the Boston Cooler, which is a float made with vanilla ice cream and Vernors ginger ale.

The many Greek diners in Buffalo, New York are similar in format to Detroit-style Coney Islands, even serving their own style of dogs, called a Texas Hot. Unlike the Coney Island restaurants in Detroit, though, the Texas Hot is not the dominant menu item in a Buffalo Greek diner.

I once spent 24 hours in lafayette for research for an anthro project, really interesting experience.

I didn't know Flints' were different.

I didn't realize, but what you guys have in Flint, we'll call a "Special" down here. With the ground beef on top of the hot dog, but they will still have chilli, maybe less if it than on a coney- best of both worlds. I'll usually get a Coney and a Special when I'm in one.

AZ-
You'd think so, wouldn't you.

Trust me - if you'd eaten a detroit coney you'd understand.

Rev-
The family member that was in Flint died. She only lived so long because god didn't want her and the devil was scared of her. Nearest relative to flint lives in West Va. You can order online, I'm just a cheap bastard. I'll start hitting some of the semi local places that advertise coney dogs - eventually I may find something that's close.

EDIT - MEL's CONEY ISLAND SUCKS
Hmm...

this place http://melsconey.com/menu.html looks kinda promising. The "loose dog" or "original coney" might come close.

The A&W dogs are ok - not the same by any means but ALMOST a substitute (kinda like ending the date alone if ya know what I mean...)

EDIT - Mels coney island sucks. Crappy hot dogs with manwich on them...

Oh, I've had 'em - my buddy in high school had some of the "meat" or "sauce" or whatever it's called flown out from Detroit packed on dry ice.

This. Is. Not. The. T R.

Had to type that to remind myself.

That is all.

Hmm...

this place http://melsconey.com/menu.html looks kinda promising. The "loose dog" or "original coney" might come close.

The A&W dogs are ok - not the same by any means but ALMOST a substitute (kinda like ending the date alone if ya know what I mean...)

Was there a couple of weeks ago. Had the original and it was tasty, but I have no idea what a "Flint Coney" tastes like.

In Upstate NY, the Coney is something totally different: Hoffmann Sausage Co in Syracuse makes (IMHO) the best ever hot dogs. They are large natural casing dogs and there is a white hot dog that is referred to as a Coney or a Snappy Griller. If you watch Man vs Food, the episode where he goes to Syracuse he stops at Heid's hot dog stand (which happened to be about a minute and a half from my old work and next door to the LHBS) and experiences the Hoffmann Coney. I prefer the original Hoffmann Hot myself, but lots of folks, my daughter included, swear by the Coney.

That's whats frustrating about the Coney - they're regionally so different. The type of hot dog, spices used, ingredients in the sauce, even the bun play a role in the final product. If anyone has a "this place makes a hell of a coney" in the DFW area post up. If someone had done the "research" for me it'd be better ;-) but the chances of finding someone who's familiar with the detroit/ flint style coneys and lives in the area and sees this thread and has found the replacement dog is slim at best.

Rev - the Dallas area is a bunch of sprawling cities. I took a back road home last night and I think I passed through 7 or 8 towns (I live 25 miles from work).

I apologize in advance, but there is only one real coney- and it comes from my hometown... Cincinnati. Skyline Chili or Goldstar Chili will both suffice, it comes with the dog, mustard, onion l, Cincinnati style chili, and cheddar cheese

Will the real coney please stand up, please stand up.

Err wait.

There's gotta be somewhere that sells the real (sorry - that's flint style) coney dog.

Will the real coney please stand up, please stand up.

Err wait.

There's gotta be somewhere that sells the real (sorry - that's flint style) coney dog.

The place you posted looks promising, if only because they also serve Gyros on the menu, that means they have to be Greek, Macedonian or Albanion, or know something about Michigan coneys.

Sounds like their loose will fit the bill.

I apologize in advance, but there is only one real coney- and it comes from my hometown... Cincinnati.

I don't even know what to say...

Using the name of a place with famous hot dogs, to describe a hotdog, and then saying that the only real "coney" comes from somewhere other than Coney Island?

I mean jeez, I'm no Brooklyn fan-boy, but any hotdog called a "coney" is obviously trying to use the popularity of a certain famous hot dog location in Brooklyn.

I don't even know what to say...

Using the name of a place with famous hot dogs, to describe a hotdog, and then saying that the only real "coney" comes from somewhere other than Coney Island?

I mean jeez, I'm no Brooklyn fan-boy, but any hotdog called a "coney" is obviously trying to use the popularity of a certain famous hot dog location in Brooklyn.

I hate to break it to you...but just like Boston Coolers, and French Fries, just because it was named for a place doesn't mean it originated there, OR makes the authentic version. ;)

The Coney Island Dog was invented by George Todoroff in Jackson, Michigan, when he opened his restaurant, Todoroff's Original Coney Island, in 1914

Nathan's began as a nickel hot dog stand in Coney Island in 1916 and bears the name of co-founder Nathan Handwerker

FYI, Boston Coolers? Another DEEEETROIT invention.

The place you posted looks promising, if only because they also serve Gyros on the menu, that means they have to be Greek, Macedonian or Albanion, or know something about Michigan coneys.

Sounds like their loose will fit the bill.

Yeah I'll probably swing over that this way this weekend. Usually end up in frisco at least once a week.

EDIT - Mels coney island sucks.

Dmmt. You guys are making me hungry! I sure like me some Koegel dogs! The party store/deli downtown serves them several ways. I usually get em with kraut and mustard. Never had a real coney from Flint. I tend to stay away from that area...

I went to college in Detroit and just down the street was an Onassis Coney Island (known as O'Nasties to the locals)...besides the coney dogs, the best thing to get late at night were the chili fries...us college types were allowed in to sit and eat at the counter behind the plexiglass...

It's still there but now it's called U of D Coney Island...

I apologize in advance, but there is only one real coney- and it comes from my hometown... Cincinnati. Skyline Chili or Goldstar Chili will both suffice, it comes with the dog, mustard, onion l, Cincinnati style chili, and cheddar cheese

I was wondering when the cincy coneys would jump into the conversation. I'm no local 'round here but I've been known to indulge.

I have to say though that this
413395305_0997d0450e.jpg

looks tastier to me than this:
3710006051_5960be05ae.jpg

Edit: Damn, now I'm starving and the PB sandwich I brought to work is NOT going to cut it.

Though skyline wins on the cheese front.

I've tried both Nathan's Franchised coneys and the cinci Skyline varieties, and I can't say I'm impressed with either. And that's mostly just because I found both of the chili sauces lacking. I haven't tried the famous Tony Packo's version out of Toledo, but I have tried their chilli sauce in cans. It was OK, but.

Reading this thread makes me want to hop in my car and drive up there. Had a friend up there who introduced me to the coney, Detroit style.

Revvy, American and Layfayette were good. I always preferred Athens in Southfield.

http://www.athensconeyisland.com/joomla/

A bong hit, two combinations, and some chili cheese fries.:fro:

Not to diverge too far from the OP's intent, but another truly local delicacy is Ted's Hot Dogs in Buffalo (there's also one in Tempe):

tedshotdog2.jpg

Cooked over charcoal, excellent hot/chili sauce and fries, topped off with a loganberry drink...:ban:

In light of gak27's hostile takeover
IMG_0957.JPG

The best dog I've ever had was at Franks 'n Dawgs in Lincoln Park (Chicago). That's a fried egg baby. Better than Hot Doug's IMO.
drool

gak27, two things wrong with that picture.....Little green flecks of relish touching the sacred chilli dog, and even THINKING of consuming something with the words loganberry in it. ;)

We're talking about a Detroit created institution here.

detroit-where-the-weak-are-killed-and-eaten-t-shirt-vintage-t-shirt-review-cotton-factory-cotton-factory-2.gif

One of the other "oddities" about Coney Island restaurants in Michigan is that ostensibly they are family diners/neighborhood breakfast joints, but most of them also serve beer. Even the chains in the area. Not all Coney's do, but quite a lot of them.

I'm gonna jump in here, if for no other reason than to piss off TxCurtis, but the BEST dog in the world is a Lucky Dog, bought from a street vendor in New Orleans! :D

In Upstate NY, the Coney is something totally different: Hoffmann Sausage Co in Syracuse makes (IMHO) the best ever hot dogs. They are large natural casing dogs and there is a white hot dog that is referred to as a Coney or a Snappy Griller. If you watch Man vs Food, the episode where he goes to Syracuse he stops at Heid's hot dog stand (which happened to be about a minute and a half from my old work and next door to the LHBS) and experiences the Hoffmann Coney. I prefer the original Hoffmann Hot myself, but lots of folks, my daughter included, swear by the Coney.

Damn straight son! I grew up in Syracuse and miss Heid's something fierce. I live in SE Michigan now and these things they sell around here they call "coneys" are not even close to what I know as a "coney". Zweigles from Rochester, New York (the real Rochester BTW) are really good too. You can buy both Hoffmans and Zweigles on the internet. If you miss having some, it's worth the price.

I'm gonna jump in here, if for no other reason than to piss off TxCurtis, but the BEST dog in the world is a Lucky Dog, bought from a street vendor in New Orleans! :D

Almost anything bought by a street vendor (especially in let's say Nawlins) or taco truck (especially in the other LA) is better than most places. There's just something about streetfood. :mug:

Latest posts

Back