Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimSandifer

Reaction score
Hi. New brewer, first time posting.
On my 4th batch, 5 Gallon Single Hop IPA I bottled about 3/4 of the volume straight into bottles, mixed in dextrose, left to carbonate. The other 1/4 I ran out of bottles so I put it straight into a couple of stainless steel growlers with pop locks that I had.

There was a significant difference in taste. The volume that was in the stainless steel growler seems to be 10x better. By better I mean the notes were stronger, carbonated better, tasted a bit more complex, was about a shade darker in color, very fresh, just all around more enjoyable.

Suppose my question would be: is this typical? Should I be conditioning in these stainless steel growlers over just bottles?

Thanks.

Welcome!

Is it possible that the bottled ones got skunky?
Light is detrimental to hops, IPAs have lots of hops.
Brown bottles block roughly 60% of light, SS blocks 100% of light.

This does't explain the carbonation discrepancy, but will affect the perceived freshness and taste.

Welcome!

Is it possible that the bottled ones got skunky?
Light is detrimental to hops, IPAs have lots of hops.
Brown bottles block roughly 60% of light, SS blocks 100% of light.

This does't explain the carbonation discrepancy, but will affect the perceived freshness and taste.

Thought it might have something to do with the light. Noted for the future. Thanks!

Back