Conditioning Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverbbqBrew

Reaction score
Hope I am not beating a dead horse here.

I am nearly two weeks into conditioning a partial mash red tail clone (its been four weeks since that inaugural brew day)...And at the moment my fermenting and conditioning space is limited to a closet that hovers around 72 degrees...

I cracked a brew and it was well carbonated but still green...

Should I move a bunch of my brews to the family fridge and let them age a couple more weeks, months, in there? Or should they stay in the 72 degree closet?

Either way I'm stoked. Thanks for everything:tank:

Once they get adequately carbonated, I move them to a cooler location so they don't get over carb'd.

The fridge will slow your carbing down a lot and help to get the yeast settled out. You'll likely have some chill haze...but who cares.

Fridge 'm. The chill may take away some of the green characteristics.

Awesome. To the fridge they go.

Gosh, but now they are one step closer to my mouth. I'll have to resist the temptation and let them age.

A couple weeks more til that first batch gets drunk. Better brew another batch pronto so this waiting thing never ever happens again. Are there brewers that get to that point where they are bottling every day? How many secondarys would I need? Darn day job. Gotta get rid of that day job.

It's what my gut told me to do anyway.

ReverbbqBrew said:
I'll have to resist the temptation and let them age.

Resisting temptation is over rated.

Get into a routine where you're brewing at least once a week for a while.

I have two primary buckets (7.5 gallons), 2 glass carboys (6.5 gallons), and one BB plastic carboy for a secondary. I also use corny kegs for conditioning.

It'll be a heck of a lot easier to avoid drinkig off your first batch, if you keep yourself occupied with brewing your second. :D

Interesting.

I already have two 5 gallon glass carboys and a 5 gallon bottling bucket. The dude at the home-brewing shop advised me against using the bottling bucket as a primary citing the risk oxidation with the increased surface area.

I was thinking about getting another carboy, so that I could have a primary and two secondarys going at once...but if I can use the bucket as a primary and the two carboys as secondarys...hmmm...Then I could put that money towards a corney keg...hmm...

Very interesting.

Back