conditioning and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
I recently did a trail 1 gallon batch of an IPA before a started with my 5 gallon batches. I bottled them 5 weeks ago and opened one at 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks, and 5 weeks. I am new to all of this, so to all of those new like me...WAIT, the difference in the bottle from 2 weeks to now at 5 weeks is huge. The beer is so much more balanced and just all around way better. So much better, that I have learned my lesson and will never open a bottle early. Being new we are all so anxious to taste it and make sure everything went well and it did not go bad that we forget good things come to those that wait. I don't mean to rant or anything, but the beer was just that much better. I want to let all those who are new like me know, that waiting like all the senior members tell us, is the best thing.

Yes, time ultimately allows the beer to mature and, more often than not, taste better.

However, I believe that it is crucial for brewers, especially new brewers, to do what you did and drink a bottle at 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, and so on. By doing this, you learn how the beer matures and the nuances that change to make it better. It's a priceless learning tool that a lot of people over look.

So yes, wait a few weeks before you finally grade your beer, but I recommend tasting it every week along the way to see how the flavors change. Just my advice.

you learned an important lesson first-hand and early on, good for you. . .although that may or may not make it any easier.

you learned an important lesson first-hand and early on, good for you. . .although that may or may not make it any easier.

Your right. I now have a hundred more questions running through my head. I get obsessed with how things work and why they work the way they do.

my plan is to do one per week until the flavor is right, then it will probably be gone fairly quick b/c I have thirsty friends.
I'm pretty thirsty myself :)

but I imagine I'll do the same on all my brews.

my line of thought is different styles age and carb at different rates. I wanna know whats going on in those brown bottles while I'm sitting out waiting on them.
they say curiosity killed the cat, but I think he just had one too many

Back