Conditioning & Aging Regime for Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafmpty

Reaction score
So I've found a great recipe for a clone of North Coast's Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. Because I've never brewed a big beer like this (SG 1.075, FG 1.020 ABV 14%) I listened to Jamil's show on how to brew Russian Imperial Stouts on the Brewing Network. In the show he mentioned aging these beers for 6-12 months. I hear this and think...OK, I've got to figure out how to do this.

I checked Palmer's book and didn't find anything. I probably didn't look in the right spot as How To Brew has pretty much everything. Anyway, after looking through the forums, I'm wondering what I should do with my current setup.

FYI I have the following:
2 5-gallon glass carboys
1 6-gallon glass carboy
1 14.5 gallon glass demijohn
2 Cornelius kegs
1 Keezer w/ single temp controller set to 43 degrees
1 Refrigerator w/ dual temp controller set to 68 degrees

So, I'm wondering how I can age a beer for 6-12 months, keep consistent temperatures for the aging beer, AND still be able to brew and drink beer.

Aging Vessels:
Should I put the beer in one of the 5 gallon carboys, keep it covered and let it sit? I won't have a need for the spare carboy in the foreseeable future. Or should I use one of the corny kegs? I've thought about buying another corny keg just for this beer. Thoughts on this part? BTW bottling is not an option.

Aging Location:
I can't put the aging RIS in the keezer because I serve beer out of there at 43 degrees. Too cold to age from what I've read (see link below). I can't put the aging beer in the refrigerator because I use it to ferment at 68 degrees. Too warm to age, again from what I've read. (http://***********/stories/techniques/article/indices/8-aging/116-aging-gracefully)

I have a basement, but the temperature isn't in the mid-50's hardly ever. I don't really want to get another refrigerator and temperature controller. Any suggestions?

People do this in various ways. But I don't think there's any issue with aging at 68. Or even warmer as need be. I make big beers and probably don't age long enough - maybe 1 month... and then bottle.

Somewhat off-topic but your beer as stated comes in at 7.2%. You might want to check your numbers.

Aging, in my opinion, doesn't require the strict adherance to temp control that fermentation does. The issue with fermentation (and why you need temp control), is that the process can cause a 5-10 degree increase in temp over ambient. This higher temp causes yeast to throw off-flavor compounds. As pretty much all fermentation has stopped by the time you age it, temp control is less of an issue.

As long as your aging temp isn't in the extremes (higher than 80ish, lower than 40ish)...I'd say you'll be fine.

Rack to one of those glass carboys and forget about it for a few months.

That being said, I agree with ayoungrad that your SG is a quite a bit off from RIS territory on this beer. Good news is that you don't need to age it quite as long!

Aging, in my opinion, doesn't require the strict adherance to temp control that fermentation does. The issue with fermentation (and why you need temp control), is that the process can cause a 5-10 degree increase in temp over ambient. This higher temp causes yeast to throw off-flavor compounds. As pretty much all fermentation has stopped by the time you age it, temp control is less of an issue.

As long as your aging temp isn't in the extremes (higher than 80ish, lower than 40ish)...I'd say you'll be fine.!

This! I did a RIS (1.088) in May. Put it in a carboy, wrapped it in foil to shield it from light, put an airlock on and put it in the basement for 4.5 months. Temps swung in the basement from 60s up to maybe 77 at the peak of summer. Tried the first bottle the other day and it's great.

Just remember to periodically check the airlock to make sure it's not close to drying out. Cheers!

I've only aged 2 mo.s max, but it was between 68-71 and came out great.

Can you post the Old Rasputin recipe please? I'd love to make that beer!

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

Thanks for the input. It's good to know aging temperatures are a little more flexible. I think what I'm going to do is ferment & condition in the 6.5 gallon carboy for 4 weeks. I'll then rack to the 5 gallon carboy for aging. I'll store this in my fermentation fridge with the temperature in the mid 50's. When I brew and need to ferment another beer, I'll bring the temp in the fermentation fridge up to 68. When fermentation is over, I'll put the temp in the fridge back down to the 50's.

BTW - ayoungrad & broadbill were right about the ABV as I posted it. I'll edit the numbers in the original post. I checked and the estimated SG is supposed to be 1.123.

Also, for Piratwolf, here's the recipe. I've got to give credit where credit is due. Here's where I found the recipe: TastyBrew.com | User Journal | BrewerBob

I emailed Bob and asked him how his experimentation with this recipe turned out. He emailed me the latest version of his recipe and said this is the recipe that nailed it. He's apparently a HUGE fan of this beer like me :) and has been trying his damndest to get it. Well, according to him...this is it. Enjoy.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
13F-Stout-Imperial Stout

Minimum OG: 1.075 SG Maximum OG: 1.115 SG
Minimum FG: 1.018 SG Maximum FG: 1.030 SG
Minimum IBU: 50 IBU Maximum IBU: 90 IBU
Minimum Color: 30.0 SRM Maximum Color: 40.0 SRM

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 8.00 US gals Wort Volume After Boil: 5.50 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.25 US gals Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 5.25 US gals Volume Of Finished Beer: 5.00 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.073 SG Expected OG: 1.123 SG
Expected FG: 1.020 SG Apparent Attenuation: 81.9 %
Expected ABV: 14.0 % Expected ABW: 10.9 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 82.8 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 34.9 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.67 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 68 degF

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
UK Pale Ale Malt 15lb 0oz 63.5 % 8.2 In Mash/Steeped
UK Brown Malt 2lb 0oz 8.5 % 20.6 In Mash/Steeped
UK Amber Malt 2lb 0oz 8.5 % 7.3 In Mash/Steeped
UK Flaked Oats 2lb 0oz 8.5 % 1.1 In Mash/Steeped
UK Black Malt 10.08 oz 2.7 % 61.9 In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - Cane 2lb 0oz 8.5 % 0.0 End Of Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Centennial 9.0 % 1.50 oz 33.2 Bagged Whole Hops 90 Min From End
US Cluster 6.5 % 1.00 oz 16.0 Bagged Whole Hops 90 Min From End
US Cluster 6.5 % 2.00 oz 23.0 Bagged Whole Hops 30 Min From End
US Liberty 4.0 % 1.50 oz 10.6 Bagged Whole Hops 30 Min From End
US Mount Hood 4.0 % 2.00 oz 0.0 Bagged Whole Hops At turn off

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
Irish Moss 0.25 oz In Boil
Yeast Nutrient 0.25 oz In Boil

Yeast
White Labs WLP007-Dry English Ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Single Step Infusion (68C/154F)

Step Type Temperature Duration
Rest at 154 degF 60

Recipe Notes:
Add the cane sugar 10 minutes from the end of the boil.

Water Profile:
Calcium(Ca): 90.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 4.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 24.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 58.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 18.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 123.0 ppm

Hafempty,

THANK YOU!!! for the recipe. I think O.R. is one of the best RIS ever, and even one of the best beers, period. I'm anxious to try this.. It may be my New Year's Eve brew....

Cheers!

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

Latest posts

Back