Concerned about Muntons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Altayre

Reaction score
If you want a little more 'history' to this my introduction was just posted about 15 minutes ago =P
My wife's cousin bought me the Midwest supplies groupon kit deal http://www.midwestsupplies.com/groupon And got the Irish Stout kit with it.

Now I followed the Instructions for brewing it, took notes ect. If you want, I can list the detailed notes that I took.

Everything went smooth brewing wise, no boil overs (I stuck two copper pennies in the bottom of the pot), no poor sanitation or 'accidents'.

Took a Hygrometer reading and it was at 1.042, spot on as per the directions.

Re-hydrated the yeast in a 50/50 mix of my cooled wort/warm water for about 20 minutes, and pitched when it was showing plenty of activity.

The yeast took off immediately, the airlock has been furiously bubbling away in my closet the last two nights at 72*F (consequently keeping SWMBO awake from the noise, and myself sound asleep knowing I'm going to have beer ***I*** made soon.)

Now the concern I have is with the yeast I pitched (came with the midwest kit) It's the Muntons Ale Dry Yeast. I've noticed my airlock has suddenly stopped (yes I know, not a sign of fermentation) so I took a hygrometer reading today (it's been 3 days) and It's currently at 1.022. I tasted the sample and it was pretty good, but a bit on the sweet side. The Target gravity is 1.01 as per the kit instructions.

Now I'm not worried at all, I know the yeasties are still doing their job AFAIK, and I plan to leave it alone in the fermenter for at least 3 weeks. but my concern comes from the particular strain of yeast and people's trouble they've had with it in the past.

The question I have is, if the munton's craps out before I hit my target FG, what are my options? Can I just order some other yeast and let it have at it, or do I just drink up the sweet stout, and chalk it up as learning experience? :mug:

Now I'm not worried at all, I know the yeasties are still doing their job AFAIK, and I plan to leave it alone in the fermenter for at least 3 weeks. but my concern comes from the particular strain of yeast and people's trouble they've had with it in the past.

Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Home (commercial) Brew :mug:

Its only day 3, you are fine. If the yeast does "crap out" as you say. You can add more yeast, but I dont think this will be the problem. Take a hydrometer reading around the 2 week mark. You will probably be close to 1010

In the mean time you can check your hydrometer in 60* F water to see if is showing 1000. If not that then your hydrometer may be off by a bit and you can adjust in the future.

Already calibrated the hydrometer in 60* water, so it's reading correctly.(*giggle* hygrometer, couldn't help it when i saw the you tube videos).

I was just concerned about the muntons as I've read here that a lot of people have a hard time with it making the FG.

The only reason I even bothered to open it was because of the "horror stories" I've read here about Muntons. BTW I only took the airlock out and stuck a sanitized turkey baster with a tube attached to it through the hole for a sample, to avoid any contaminates or oxygen.

I'll order some better yeast later today just in case, but I'm just going to leave it be until Dec 13th. Thanks for your reply!!

I'm no expert but I wouldn't worry its only been three days. I've used muntons yeast before and haven't had any problem but I'm always left them in the primary at least 3-4 weeks

Don't panic my Muntons did the same on my Autumn Amber Ale, I let her
sit for 2 weeks then checked and it was spot one. PLEASE LET THEM BOTTLE
CONDITION FOR AT LEAST 2 WEEKS. IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!! Please
read all stickys and head all advice on this forum. These guys no because they have!

air lock is not a fermentation indicator.. relax it had a big hard start (it's still working away in there) for go a secondary and let it ride for 3 weeks esp. with muntons (not my favorite yeast and it may just be me, but does the job). may need a bit of a rest using muntons. Hydrometer reading should be solid same as 2 weeks. I usually don't check @ 2. just wait extra week check if i'm close to recipe (usually under) but if over give a few more days... if same on second check bottle or keg away.

What's with the copper pennies... haven't heard this before???

The pennies are a trick both my father and grandfather did. It's one of the few things I remember them doing and neither one of them ever had boil overs.

I have been reading up for some time, I'm a read the manual first kind of guy. And I'm definitely not 'worried' it was more of a concern about the yeast is all.

I fully intend to leave it in the fermenter for a full 3 weeks before even thinking of bottling, and I've read plenty of posts and stickies about letting them condition for a minimum of 3-4 weeks before worrying about any flavors. As well as it being a stout, it may need more conditioning time.

All of that I have down pretty well, like I said, my only concern was the yeast which you guys have resolved. I already ordered some Wyeast Irish ale yeast in the possible event that the muntons doesn't quite do the job...and hell if it does do the job, then I have yeast for another batch :D

Cool! glad we on HBT helped. Always like to hear old school tricks!

Happy Thanksgiving! (back to my stuffing!)

Relax and come back to it in a week. I know it's hard, especially with the first batch, but the less you fuss with it the better chance you have that it'll turn out great. I had a batch I just bottled last week that barley bubbled for 1 day before going quiet, and it fermented out to exactly where it was supposed to without any help from me in 1 week.

Im have the exact thing going on as we speak with my first batch, Autumn Amber Ale. Went nuts bubbling for 2 days and now it bubbles maybe once a minute now. Maybe thats common for this type of yeast?

yup! bubbling is not a true sign of yeast working... lot's of other things going on. relax let it ride 3 weeks+

Better beer because of it. Yeast cleans up after itself. I have a pale that is going into keg this weekend after a very long primary. OVER 75 days! but sample tastes great. and Crystal Clear!

Back