Computer For Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbzdel

Reaction score
Right now I have no brewing software, I typically just look up recipes and just go off of them. I am getting more into brew science and why beer is the way it is I have been thinking about getting myself a computer and getting some software to help me come up with new recipes.. That being said I have been debating getting a tablet computer but I just do not know enough about them to know if there is good brewing software available in tablet format. I would not be interested in Apple, probably just Windows or Android, as I doubt Chrome OS or Fire OS are compatible with any brew software.

My biggest concern with technology lately is that it seems like its all throw away quality as they want you to buy the new model next year. I wouldn't know where to even start. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Get a laptop first of all. Programs like Beersmith aren't viewed in a browser window. They are a stand-alone, self-contained program that have their own viewer. Beersmith is the most in-depth program out there & can be tailored to all the different brewing styles. It also has the BJCP list of beer styles built in so that you can pick the style to fit the recipe you're building. It shows a bar graph with arrows to show where you are versus where you should be with regard to SRM, IBU, etc. Here's a link to the Beersmith site; http://beersmith.com/:tank:

For software I recommend BeerSmith. I've been using it for years and I enjoy it. There are other programs like ProMash if you want to try them out. If you're looking for something small and cheap I would also recommend a laptop like uniondr recommended because it's portable which is useful on a brew day if you prefer a computer over a tablet or phone. You can get possibly even something used...in which case I would recommend installing Linux because you can get a very easy to install user friendly distribution and it won't cost you a dime for the OS (BeerSmith also runs on Linux).

I've used BeerSmith on an Android tablet and an Android phone and I much prefer the program on a computer.

I use and like BeerSmith on laptop. But, you could look at BrewersFriend.com which has a fairly complete suite of brewing calculators that are web based, so can be run from just about any tablet.

Brew on :mug:

+1 to BeerSmith. I have it on a macbook air, although I've successfully run it on a chromebook (running linux) as well. Great software.

I picked up a HP Stream 7 tablet last night for $99, its exactly what I want, I didn't know I could get a tablet with a full version of Windows for less than a couple hundred bucks, but I did it and it's working great! Next to get a copy of BeerSmith!

I picked up a HP Stream 7 tablet last night for $99, its exactly what I want, I didn't know I could get a tablet with a full version of Windows for less than a couple hundred bucks, but I did it and it's working great! Next to get a copy of BeerSmith!

Sounds like what I need. I have an old 10" Gateway Netbook I got for $100 (display model at Verison). It is running Win98. It still runs beersmith fine but web stuff is really starting to slow down. I guess because support is gone and I cannot upgrade anything anymore.

You will be happy with Beersmith:mug:

I also learned the hard way about streamlining memory. And the Google chrome browser is a bit better. Anyway, I learned that i didn't have to save older versions of programs when running the latest versions. cleared out a lot of memory space. Clearing out history in memory from the control panel & the browser helps load speeds as well. Modern programs & sites have more language in them & need more memory to run. so clearing out as much memory as you can in an older machine can help a lot.

I misspoke, It is running xp home. I will check into an upgrade though. I really don't need much out of it but beersmith and browsing HBT.

I don't think you can upgrade from xp home, wasn't that the cheapest option back when it came out? I remember getting the xp professional level because i couldn't get a discount for an upgrade. I was a programmer for almost 40 years so I needed some of the extra features that level offered.

It appears to me that if you have gotten by without a computer for this long, and all you want to do is run Beersmith, I'd just leave it as it is, if it ain't broke don't fix really applies to computers, trust me, I know. As to browsing, your performance is dependent on your data connection (cable, satellite, or DSP) and rate supplied by your internet provider. Browsing happens as fast as your connection and the web servers you're trying to go to provide, as well as your computer power to process java/javascript embedded in the web pages. It doesn't require a whole lot to do this. Just make sure you install/update your java version (see oracle.com). Run it until the wheels fall off. There are lots and lots of used PC's and laptops you can still get pretty cheap.

I don't think you can upgrade from xp home, wasn't that the cheapest option back when it came out? I remember getting the xp professional level because i couldn't get a discount for an upgrade. I was a programmer for almost 40 years so I needed some of the extra features that level offered.

It appears to me that if you have gotten by without a computer for this long, and all you want to do is run Beersmith, I'd just leave it as it is, if it ain't broke don't fix really applies to computers, trust me, I know. As to browsing, your performance is dependent on your data connection (cable, satellite, or DSP) and rate supplied by your internet provider. Browsing happens as fast as your connection and the web servers you're trying to go to provide, as well as your computer power to process java/javascript embedded in the web pages. It doesn't require a whole lot to do this. Just make sure you install/update your java version (see oracle.com). Run it until the wheels fall off. There are lots and lots of used PC's and laptops you can still get pretty cheap.

I am running Linux Mint something or other right now from a USB flash drive. I cannot believe how easy that was to get up and running. Everything I have messed with seems a little faster at least. I am not sure what kind of improvement I should expect if I actually install this to the hard drive or how to go about getting my existing software up and running but it does seem like an improvement.

I am running Linux Mint something or other right now from a USB flash drive. I cannot believe how easy that was to get up and running. Everything I have messed with seems a little faster at least. I am not sure what kind of improvement I should expect if I actually install this to the hard drive or how to go about getting my existing software up and running but it does seem like an improvement.

+1 for linux mint... It runs very well on my 2008 dell laptop that I got for free. Brew Target is a free software application for homebrewing. I just started using beersmith 2 with it, but it crashes occasionally, so I don't think it's worth the $27 for linux.

+1 for linux mint... It runs very well on my 2008 dell laptop that I got for free. Brew Target is a free software application for homebrewing. I just started using beersmith 2 with it, but it crashes occasionally, so I don't think it's worth the $27 for linux. Try it, you won't be sorry.

Windows software won't run natively on Linux. You can install Wine, and many Windows programs will run under that, but then many won't. The Wine folks maintain a page that lists what works and what doesn't (list time I looked anyway.) Luckily there is a version of Beersmith that runs natively under Linux, as noted previously (It's what I use.) There's a couple of glitches in the GUI, but they are just minor annoyances. There any many good programs for Linux that do what popular Windows programs do, the exceptions are in the CAD and tax program areas.

+1 for linux mint... It runs very well on my 2008 dell laptop that I got for free. Brew Target is a free software application for homebrewing. I just started using beersmith 2 with it, but it crashes occasionally, so I don't think it's worth the $27 for linux. Try it, you won't be sorry. Runs much faster when installed, but you can play with it by live booting from a cd or usb.

+1 for linux mint... It runs very well on my 2008 dell laptop that I got for free. Brew Target is a free software application for homebrewing. I just started using beersmith 2 with it, but it crashes occasionally, so I don't think it's worth the $27 for linux. Try it, you won't be sorry. Runs much faster when installed, but you can play with it by live booting from a cd or usb.

You can also do a regular install on a usb stick, and it will run faster than the compressed distribution version.

I haven't had problems with Brewsmith crashing on Linux (I run Kubuntu, but it's built on an Ubuntu base, just like Mint.)

Right now I have no brewing software, I typically just look up recipes and just go off of them. I am getting more into brew science and why beer is the way it is I have been thinking about getting myself a computer and getting some software to help me come up with new recipes.. That being said I have been debating getting a tablet computer but I just do not know enough about them to know if there is good brewing software available in tablet format. I would not be interested in Apple, probably just Windows or Android, as I doubt Chrome OS or Fire OS are compatible with any brew software.

My biggest concern with technology lately is that it seems like its all throw away quality as they want you to buy the new model next year. I wouldn't know where to even start. Does anyone have any recommendations?

You obviously have some ability to get online since you're posting here so I would recommend going with an online option for now. I think a great option that has recently become available is Lubberwort Brewing software. It's a full-fledged brewing software and calculator (like BeerSmith), along with recipe storage and public recipe exchange. It's being actively developed and is pretty powerful. All accessible from any device that can get online (phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, etc) and is independent of operating system. Free registration.

http://www.lubberwortbrewing.com/

You can use the built-in "Request a feature" and "Report an issue" for those things, and can probably post any questions you have on the thread here to get "support" on using it.

Runs much faster when installed, but you can play with it by live booting from a cd or usb.

If it runs faster installed, it will be much better than what I was dealing with.

You can also do a regular install on a usb stick, and it will run faster than the compressed distribution version.

I haven't had problems with Brewsmith crashing on Linux (I run Kubuntu, but it's built on an Ubuntu base, just like Mint.)

How do you do a regular install to usb stick? I installed it on the stick using UNetbootin. I am a total noob in this department...

If it runs faster installed, it will be much better than what I was dealing with.

How do you do a regular install to usb stick? I installed it on the stick using UNetbootin. I am a total noob in this department...

It's a bit involved, you have to manually choose where to install and then set up the disk partitions on the usb stick. It's possible to wipe out the Windows installation on your hard drive if you get it wrong, so maybe not the best idea for a self described "noob." If the computer is otherwise a "throwaway", then just do the default install on the hard drive.

You obviously are computer literate, at least to some extent, and have at least some computer access. Any of the systems you mention are perfectly capable of doing what you need. As far as Chrome OS and Fire OS, Chrome is a web os, and can run online programs of which Brewer's Friend (my personal favorite) is one. Fire OS is really just Android, and both Brewer's Friend and Brew Smith are available in Android apps.

If budget is an issue, think about getting an Android tablet (large). Then look at internet access. Do you want to get a DSL connecton? For about $20, I can access the net through a cellular connection with Verizon for a month. WiFi only? Go to a business that has free WiFi, park in front of the library, or the local LDS church..... They usually have an open WIFI connection, and there is some humor in the idea of using their WiFi to design your next brewing project. Better still would be using free WiFi from the Women's Christian Temprance Union....... But they are all but extinct with a mere 5000 members at last count. That evil b__ch Carey Nation would roll over in her grave ;-) It's a matter of pride that here in Montana... specifically Butte, she was run out of town after starting a fight with a whore house madam.

The fact is that ANY computer will work....... including a smart phone. What do YOU want?

H.W.

It's a bit involved, you have to manually choose where to install and then set up the disk partitions on the usb stick. It's possible to wipe out the Windows installation on your hard drive if you get it wrong, so maybe not the best idea for a self described "noob." If the computer is otherwise a "throwaway", then just do the default install on the hard drive.

It is close to a throwaway although I haven't quite made that call yet. I read a bit about partitions and was confused but I can probably figure it out if need be.

Thanks for your help.

Brew on :mug: ;)

Go to a business that has free WiFi, park in front of the library, or the local LDS church..... They usually have an open WIFI connection, and there is some humor in the idea of using their WiFi to design your next brewing project. Better still would be using free WiFi from the Women's Christian Temprance Union....... But they are all but extinct with a mere 5000 members at last count. That evil b__ch Carey Nation would roll over in her grave ;-) It's a matter of pride that here in Montana... specifically Butte, she was run out of town after starting a fight with a whore house madam.

H.W.

This is good stuff. I WILL brew a recipe designed on the Women's Christian Temperance Union's WiFi. It will be magical I am sure. Please post one.

I misspoke, It is running xp home. I will check into an upgrade though. I really don't need much out of it but beersmith and browsing HBT.

Windows 7 isn't going to help on an XP-era netbook - it's a great OS, but it'll bring the netbook to its knees just running the operating system. If you want to extend the life cycle of the computer, you're better off looking into Linux distros - there are some that are tailored specifically to that purpose.

This is good stuff. I WILL brew a recipe designed on the Women's Christian Temperance Union's WiFi. It will be magical I am sure. Please post one.

Unfortunately Montana does not have a chapter to my knowledge.. check your yellow pages! It would be worth doing if there were a local chapter with free WiFi. The Southern Baptists might be a good choice, or your local mosque.

H.W.

Unfortunately Montana does not have a chapter to my knowledge.. check your yellow pages! It would be worth doing if there were a local chapter with free WiFi. The Southern Baptists might be a good choice, or your local mosque.

H.W.

I thought you were the hook-up. Man, there is nothing around here for stealing WiFi. Good idea though.

For a throw-away machine I'd just install directly to the HDD. Follow the install directions and have the install set up the partitions (OS, Swap, etc..)

I have used Beersmith for years and like it, but Brewer's Friend is a great alternative, and it will run in any browser, so it will run in most any OS.

There are several Linux distros that can refresh an old machine and unless you are using Windows-specific software, it will run generally run fine. I personally haven't found a Linux dist. I like as much as Windows (interface and feel, anyway), but I could use one for just browsing and really basic use just fine. The computer I plan to install into my brew rig will very likely be a Linux dist. I'll be surfing the web, playing MP3s, and doing brewing calculations, so no reason to carry the weight of Windows when a lightweight Linux will do the trick.

I had planned to use a Rasberry Pi, but after using it a bit, it's pretty slow. There are newer version for hardly any more money that look to be quite decent. Hard to beat a pack-of-cards sized Linux machine for about $50...

You can often find excellent "referbs" on Newegg.com for around $100. All you need is to find a monitor as everything else is included, and they come with a Windows OS installed. Most of them are "off lease" machines I suspect, and often very small form factor HP machines.

H.W.

Back