Compound leaching from Plastic/PVC equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessup

Reaction score
Just a heads up for all you homebrewers who use any PVC or polyethylene:
Bis(2-Ethylhexyl)phthalate leaches out of anything made of PVC. I'm an environmental scientists and anywhere there is PVC around, there's this compound. Usually i complete water sampling at the ambient outside temperature, but being many times you are heating up the PVC/poly/plastic, i imagine even more might leach out of the plastics. I would imagine this includes water coolers used for all grain systems as well.

Here's some info on this compound, Bis(2-Ethylhexyl)phthalate.
http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/eth-phth.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bis(2-ethylhexyl)_phthalate
"DEHP has a low vapor pressure, but the temperatures for processing PVC articles are often high, leading to release of elevated levels, raising concerns about health risks (see outgassing). It can be absorbed from food and water. Higher levels have been found in milk and cheese. It can also leach into a liquid that comes in contact with the plastic; it extracts faster into nonpolar solvents (eg. oils and fats in foods packed in PVC). Food and Drug Administration (FDA) therefore permits use of DEHP-containing packaging only for foods that primarily contain water. In soil, DEHP contamination moves very slowly because of its low solubility in water. Therefore, leaching from disposed plastics in landfills is generally slow. The US EPA limits for DEHP in drinking water is 6 ppb (now 3ppb). The U.S. agency OSHA's limit for occupational exposure is 5 mg/m3 of air."

"Bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP) is used in the production of polyvinyl chloride (PVC). It exhibits low toxicity from acute (short-term) and chronic (long-term) exposures. Acute exposure to large oral doses of DEHP can cause gastrointestinal distress in humans. No information is available on the chronic, reproductive, developmental, or carcinogenic effects of DEHP in humans. Animal studies have reported increased lung weights and increased liver weights from chronic inhalation exposure to DEHP. Oral exposure has resulted in developmental and reproductive effects in rats and mice. A study by the National Toxicology Program (NTP) showed that DEHP administered orally increased the incidence of liver tumors in rats and mice. EPA has classified DEHP as a Group B2, probable human carcinogen."

"DEHP metabolites measured from the blood of pregnant women have been significantly associated with the decreased penis width (anything but that!!), shorter anogenital distance, and the incomplete descent of testes of their newborn sons, replicating effects identified in animals."

Does this effect CPVC as well? And what is the inside of cooler generally made with?

I doubt, and who cares if it does? 75% of the country has cpvc plumming, were all doomed.:rolleyes:

Not me. When I built my house back in 93, I specified all copper for supply lines. My wife is a chemical engineer and she agreed that the plastics industry has known for many years about leechant problems with PVC products at elevated temperatures. The real problem is that the effects of these leeching chemicals do not manifest themselves overnight so the plastics Industry doesn't advertise the hazards. If I am to die from poisoning, I want it to be alcohol poisioning so I tend not to use PVC products if I can avoid them. It's an individual choice and I am not going to criticize anyone for their choices.

Unfortunately, much of the water distribution system in the US is PVC, so worrying about what happens in your house doesn't do much. My house has copper and DEX piping, but there's 15 miles of PVC between the tank and my house.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......... So are we going to die? I actually like the 2-Ethylhexy, it really brings out the Hops aroma.

I love these Chicken Little threads...Folks, the sky IS falling! :D :eek: :p

disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

Must say, I think people will look back on this stuff and wonder why people were so passive and unconcerned. Talk to your grandpa (or even parent) about lead toys (I don't mean lead paint, I mean toys MADE of lead) and that when the alarm bells started ringing, how everyone thought they were alarmist nutjobs. If studies are showing that plastics are causing harm, why aren't more people interested in reducing/removing the threat to themselves and their families? It's like everyone has the mindset that, "Eh, everyone's doing it, why rock the boat?" Meanwhile cancer rates and especially in the sexual organs, are skyrocketing, and it's very closely linked to the plastics we are in constant contact with. Personally we try to avoid all the 'bad plastics' as much as possible. And in this vein, I'm researching the available phthalate-free pvc tubing and silicone tubing for homebrewing. <rant mode off>

Must say, I think people will look back on this stuff and wonder why people were so passive and unconcerned. Talk to your grandpa (or even parent) about lead toys (I don't mean lead paint, I mean toys MADE of lead) and that when the alarm bells started ringing, how everyone thought they were alarmist nutjobs. If studies are showing that plastics are causing harm, why aren't more people interested in reducing/removing the threat to themselves and their families? It's like everyone has the mindset that, "Eh, everyone's doing it, why rock the boat?" Meanwhile cancer rates and especially in the sexual organs, are skyrocketing, and it's very closely linked to the plastics we are in constant contact with. Personally we try to avoid all the 'bad plastics' as much as possible. And in this vein, I'm researching the available phthalate-free pvc tubing and silicone tubing for homebrewing. <rant mode off>

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but when I see the words: "...studies are showing..." without reference to the actual studies, that's when my alarm bells start going off.

In other words, a few references would go a long way here.

There have also been many claims in history that have been debunked. Go ahead and pick and choose the ones you feel are important to follow. The OP's statement at the beginning doesn't specify any details pertaining to levels of toxicity in the testing. This reminds me of the previous claims Sween-n-low causing cancer in lab mice and should be eliminated from store shelves and restaurants. Yeah........

Well, until I see something in writing stating the amount of said chemical that caused these negative effects and also the amount of said chemical that can be "leached" into my beer, I will continue to use tried and true methods from past brewer experiences.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but when I see the words: "...studies are showing..." without reference to the actual studies, that's when my alarm bells start going off.

In other words, a few references would go a long way here.
Fair enough, google "PVC leaching" or "phthalate safety". Europe has banned many phthalate plasticizers due to the overwhelming consensus of dangers.

Here's a good start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pvc#Health_and_safety
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate#Health_effects

(I know, Wikipedia is not a scientific journal. But they link to them nicely for you to do your own in-depth reading)

There have also been many claims in history that have been debunked.
Science doesn't really work that way - you go with what is generally accepted by testing now. Assuming that scientific conclusions will someday be changed by new exploration and discovery in the future is fair, so long as you accept the current data up to and until that point. For instance - you don't swig mercury and say, "heck, one day they'll say it cures cancer!" Nor do you shun airplanes because the science of fluid dynamics and aeronautics may someday refute the way a wing creates thrust. You accept science as it stands, today. Knowing things may change in the future with more research and study.

Yeah I have an igloo cooler mashtun, i feel weird about using it because of the plastic aspect but do anyways cuz it works so well!

Yeah I have an igloo cooler mashtun, i feel weird about using it because of the plastic aspect but do anyways cuz it works so well!

A former member worked in plastic formulation as an engineer, and posted a lot of good info showing it is safe to use. I've reposted the info a ton of times on here whenever some nervous nelly starts threads like this one.

Here's some of the info.

I think those are HDPE - that's very stable and doesn't leach dangerous chemicals. I'm talking about PVC (vinyl tubing and the like)

I'm totally fine with HDPE and PP (high-density polyethylene and polypropylene). They're numbers 2 and 5 respectively on the universal number embossed into most plastic items these days. We've gotten rid of any other numbers we can find in our house, especially in anything our baby handles.

This is hype about nothing! Rigid PVC and CPVC contain no plasticizers (including DEHP) AT ALL. Plasticizers make PVC soft. There is a chance that soft PVC tubing has DEHP, so if you are worried, pick something different, but if you don't know what you are talking about don't spread false information. I am an engineer at a pipe plant and I know the formulas and what NSF will permit. Rigid pipe is thoroughly tested on a continuous basis to make sure it is safe for drinking water.

This is hype about nothing! Rigid PVC and CPVC contain no plasticizers (including DEHP) AT ALL. Plasticizers make PVC soft. There is a chance that soft PVC tubing has DEHP, so if you are worried, pick something different, but if you don't know what you are talking about don't spread false information. I am an engineer at a pipe plant and I know the formulas and what NSF will permit. Rigid pipe is thoroughly tested on a continuous basis to make sure it is safe for drinking water.

Allow me to quote some pages I've just found to support my concerns.

http://www.calpipes.org/ProtectingCalifornians_CPVC.asp
Leaching studies commissioned by the State of California and conducted by UC Berkeley found that CPVC plumbing pipe systems may leach potentially toxic chemicals such as chloroform, tetrahydrofuran, methyl ethyl ketone, acetone and organotins into drinking water. These chemicals may cause cancer in humans or other serious health impacts. When leached from CPVC plumbing systems, the public may be exposed to these chemicals through consumption of drinking water, inhalation and skin exposure during bathing.

http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/basicinformation/vinyl-chloride.cfm
Some people who drink water containing vinyl chloride well in excess of the maximum contaminant level (MCL) for many years may have an increased risk of cancer.

That took me 30 seconds and with more time I could quote studies that show increased cancer risks from all types of vinyl in contact with food and drink. Rigid, chlorinated, flexible (with phthalates), etc. All of it will eventually be banned when it's found to be definitely cancerous. You're free to make your own choice. I make mine.

That took me 30 seconds and with more time I could quote studies that show increased cancer risks from all types of vinyl in contact with food and drink. Rigid, chlorinated, flexible (with phthalates), etc. All of it will eventually be banned when it's found to be definitely cancerous. You're free to make your own choice. I make mine.

You quoted a California study..... Everything in California causes cancer.

30 year old information and technology = worth close to 0, IMO.

Totally! Like how 500 years ago Copernicus used super old information and technology to prove the earth revolves around the sun. What a crock! Clearly old studies should be discarded and ignored!

But, no matter, the study I mentioned earlier was about seven years ago from a prestigious university.

We constantly are consuming and absorbing plastic compounds. In the USA plastic is used for like everything. Do the coolers leech? Seems like they probably leech at least a bit of something. Why doesn't someone on here fund a study then?

We constantly are consuming and absorbing plastic compounds. In the USA plastic is used for like everything. Do the coolers leech? Seems like they probably leech at least a bit of something. Why doesn't someone on here fund a study then?

There have been studies done on chemical leaching, which is how we know that PVC and vinyl and PET leaches, while LDPE, HDPE and polypropylene don't.

Page 1 is from the California plumber's union. The unions hate anything that is easy to install and decreases labor. There's no references anywhere for the information they cite. Wonder why?

Page 2 is from the EPA and looks to be good information. There's no mention at all, however, of PVC pipe. That's because PVC pipe hasn't contained measurable free vinyl chloride since the 1970's. I get the certificates of compliance and sign the checks for the testing to confirm that it doesn't.

The company I work for makes most kinds of pipe for potable water including PE, PP, PEX, PVC, CPVC, ductile iron, and multilayer, and brass fittings. If you have a personal favorite please feel free to choose. But don't pass off your personal favorite as science.

Cheers!

The company I work for makes most kinds of pipe for potable water including ...
I don't expect you to accept that your company might make something that leaches toxic chemicals. I had a friend that works for the fracking industry who wouldn't accept anything other than his industry was the perfect altruistic bunch of awesomesauce that did no wrong. But I have no ulterior motive or any burden of cognitive dissonance, no allegiances to anything but looking for the facts. I have no "favorites" other than the studies I've read that indicate which materials leach, and which don't. I'm open minded to anything except bias. And when I find lots of studies from around the world showing that PVC and CPVC leach at as low as 95 degrees F, I want to avoid it. Vinyl is a carcinogen. It likely exists in such widespread use only because your industry has trade groups and lobbying arms that keep it in the building codes throughout the nation.

wantonsoup - thanks for keeping this discussion going. while most folks just shrug it off (as we've seen in this thread) i'm sure in the long term more folks will begin to understand. i have personally seen this compound, bis(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate a/k/a DEHP, show up in my laboratory analyses more times than not when using polyethylene, vinyl, PVC, etc. no study but through actual personal experience. sure we're talking parts per billion, but it IS still leaching at low (50's-60's) temperatures. the only thing that doesn't leach while i'm doing environmental sampling is Teflon. i sure hope high temp Silicon is just as good as that's what i'm using in my homebrewery. my homebrewery is 100% SS with some copper tidbits. no plastics anywhere other than my kegerator draft system.

my homebrewery is 100% SS with some copper tidbits. no plastics anywhere other than my kegerator draft system.

I'm close to that - I use all SS metal, and for the tubing I got plasticizer/phthalate-free tubing, or else I use platinum-cured silicone.

The way I figure it - better safe than sorry. To each his own though.

Are these analyses anything that have been published or that you can share? Are you using a standard test method for extraction (i.e. NSF 61)? I'm wondering how DEHP shows up in things where it is not intentionally added. Is it at parts per billion in the environment?

Most plants that process plastics specialize in one kind or the other, so cross contamination is unlikely...

And apologies for hijacking this thread on something distantly related to brewing...

wantonsoup - thanks for keeping this discussion going. while most folks just shrug it off (as we've seen in this thread) i'm sure in the long term more folks will begin to understand. i have personally seen this compound, bis(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate a/k/a DEHP, show up in my laboratory analyses more times than not when using polyethylene, vinyl, PVC, etc. no study but through actual personal experience. sure we're talking parts per billion, but it IS still leaching at low (50's-60's) temperatures. the only thing that doesn't leach while i'm doing environmental sampling is Teflon. i sure hope high temp Silicon is just as good as that's what i'm using in my homebrewery. my homebrewery is 100% SS with some copper tidbits. no plastics anywhere other than my kegerator draft system.

http://www.calpipes.org/ProtectingCalifornians_CPVC.asp
Leaching studies commissioned by the State of California and conducted by UC Berkeley found that CPVC plumbing pipe systems may leach potentially toxic chemicals such as chloroform, tetrahydrofuran, methyl ethyl ketone, acetone and organotins into drinking water. These chemicals may cause cancer in humans or other serious health impacts. When leached from CPVC plumbing systems, the public may be exposed to these chemicals through consumption of drinking water, inhalation and skin exposure during bathing.
http://water.epa.gov/drink/contamina...l-chloride.cfm
Some people who drink water containing vinyl chloride well in excess of the maximum contaminant level (MCL) for many years may have an increased risk of cancer.
So your 30 second search found:
A) a study that found that some chemical may leach, and they may cause cancer and maybe the public could be exposed to them?
B) Some people who ingested much more than the maximum limit of a chemical may have an increase risk of cancer
Sounds conclusive.
Also I know you are not the OP but it would seem that none of the compounds you list as leaching are the originally specified Bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate.
The biggest issue with alarmist is the confusion of information:
Right at the beginning of this thread we are warned about using PVC and PE because all PVC will leach DEHP (even the stuff that DEHP isn't even added to? and what about the PE, why was that mentioned in the first sentence if we are now talking about all PVC?)
Then it goes on to talk in general terms about PVC/Poly/Plastic as if they are all the same thing - they are not as has been explain above and in the other threads. Then it goes on to imagine what is happening - not what is happening, what is imagined to happen, i.e. there is no scientific method to this madness.

If anyone wants to make a point about a health concern I welcome it and think it should be raised (especially on here as many probably would not know otherwise), but make sure any concern is clear and concise, does not rely on using technical terms to fear monger, does not confuse the issue with irrelevant information and any claims are substantiated with additional sources.

And engineerrock - I don't think you are hijacking this thread at all since you are providing additional information on the original subject (it is just not along the same lines as the OPs)

The company I work for makes most kinds of pipe for potable water including PE, PP, PEX, PVC, CPVC, ductile iron, and multilayer, and brass fittings.

Most plants that process plastics specialize in one kind or the other, so cross contamination is unlikely....
Those two sentences don't really fit together. Of course now you'll tell me that each plastic is made in it's own plant and never the twain shall meet?

none of the compounds you list as leaching are the originally specified Bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate.
Polycarbonate leaches BPA. This is why most polycarbonate items have switched to other materials (water bottles, blender jars, etc).

Of course, there is plenty of nuttery going on in the industry, putting large BPA FREE stickers on things that never did and never would have BPA, like Pyrex or stainless bowls. But that's no different from sugary items having large FAT FREE stickers on them at the grocery store. Sometimes safety sells. It has no bearing on the actual dangers or concerns of BPA.

Anyway, instead of putting all of the burden on me, why don't you spend three minutes and Google some of this? There are countless studies out there, sponsored by real government and educational and scientific entities, and published in all the big journals, about what leaches what. As I mentioned, I've done this research and have determined what I am comfortable with. Here's my conclusions:

plasticcodes_png.png

1 - PET / PETE
Can leach antimony

3 - Vinyl
Can leach all sorts of nasty stuff

6 - Polystyrene

7 - Unknown, they aren't telling you what's in it.

2 - HDPE
4 - LDPE
5 - PP
Should be considered safe under most circumstances.

...Polycarbonate leaches BPA. This is why most polycarbonate items have switched to other materials (water bottles, blender jars, etc).

Of course, there is plenty of nuttery going on in the industry, putting large BPA FREE stickers on things that never did and never would have BPA, like Pyrex or stainless bowls. But that's no different from sugary items having large FAT FREE stickers on them at the grocery store. Sometimes safety sells. It has no bearing on the actual dangers or concerns of BPA.

Anyway, instead of putting all of the burden on me, why don't you spend three minutes and Google some of this? There are countless studies out there, sponsored by real government and educational and scientific entities, and published in all the big journals, about what leaches what. As I mentioned, I've done this research and have determined what I am comfortable with. Here's my conclusions:

plasticcodes_png.png

1 - PET / PETE
Can leach antimony

3 - Vinyl

6 - Polystyrene

7 - Unknown, they aren't telling you what's in it.

2 - HDPE
4 - LDPE
5 - PP
Should be considered safe under most circumstances.

Again - now we are talking about Polycarbonate leaching Bisphenol A - bouncing around all over the place doesn't help get the point across , it dilutes the actual specific message that is trying to be made. Without a clear concise message it will all get thrown out by most as alarmist.

I am not trying to say you are wrong - what I am trying to point out is the way a lot of people go about raising their concerns about plastics (or anything in general really) does not help them. Make point A, back up point A. Don't Make point A & B, back up point B and reference point C - that just confuses what the actual point was and brings out the "sky is falling" comments.

So given I only have 3 minutes Wikipedia is really the only source I can get through in that time.
Running down the recyclable list:
  • 1 - Antimony is a catalyst used in the production of PET/PETE. Wiki mentions that the some reports noted leaching of Antimony into fruit juice of up to 44.7 ug/L. The WHO proposed TDI is 6ug/kg body weight - which for an 80 kg person (me) I would need to drink over 10 litres of fruit juice per day! Even a 15 kg kid would have to drink 2 litres of juice per day which I would say is not healthy (drink some water). I did a bit more thinking and research - the WHO RDI for sugar is 90g of sugar for an adult, and one source (1 - I know I should have more but meh:)) shows 24g of sugar per 240ml serving of orange juice - so 10g/100ml. So if I drink my 10 litres to get my Antimony kick I would also be ingesting 1kg of sugar (or 11x the RDI!)
  • 3 - This was the original point of this thread
  • 6 - Can you please provide more information on Polystyrene leaching? From what I have read (on Wiki again!) is Polystyrene is produced from the styrene monomer and will undergo polymerisation by itself with no added catalyst or molecules. Therefore it should only be able to leach styrene, which is a natural substances (original identified from the resin of the Turkish sweetgum tree) and naturally found in food sources.
  • 7 - It is not that they are not telling you what is in it, the point is this is the final catch all class for anything that is not 1-6. Remember this is for recycling not for identifying what plastic it is.

Again - now we are talking about Polycarbonate leaching Bisphenol A - bouncing around all over the place doesn't help get the point across , it dilutes the actual specific message that is trying to be made. Without a clear concise message it will all get thrown out by most as alarmist.
I address PC and BPA specifically. As well as other plastics and chemicals. The thread has certainly evolved past the original post made almost 5 years ago.

So given I only have 3 minutes Wikipedia is really the only source I can get through in that time.
Try google - Wikipedia isn't definitive or conclusive. Google can find you quite a lot of actual scientific journal-published studies on these topics.

Antimony ... I would need to drink over 10 litres of fruit juice per day! Even a 15 kg kid would have to drink 2 litres of juice per day which I would say is not healthy (drink some water). I did a bit more thinking and research ...
Think differently. Chemicals, compounds, and metals accumulate in your system. It's not all the daily serving. Would you consume half the amount of lead and mercury allowed every day and call it safe? Or do you think that over time they may accumulate and cause problems? We both know the answer to this.=
Polystyrene ... Therefore it should only be able to leach styrene, which is a natural substances (original identified from the resin of the Turkish sweetgum tree) and naturally found in food sources.
Styrene is a carcinogen and there are half a dozen major studies ongoing as we speak on nothing but the like between styrene and cancer. Especially when microwaving food in polystyrene it leaches styrene into the food.

7 - It is not that they are not telling you what is in it, the point is this is the final catch all class for anything that is not 1-6. Remember this is for recycling not for identifying what plastic it is.
Huh? 7 means you don't know what plastic or compound it's made from.

I address PC and BPA specifically. As well as other plastics and chemicals. The thread has certainly evolved past the original post made almost 5 years ago.

Try google - Wikipedia isn't definitive or conclusive. Google can find you quite a lot of actual scientific journal-published studies on these topics.

Think differently. Chemicals, compounds, and metals accumulate in your system. It's not all the daily serving. Would you consume half the amount of lead and mercury allowed every day and call it safe? Or do you think that over time they may accumulate and cause problems? We both know the answer to this.=

Styrene is a carcinogen and there are half a dozen major studies ongoing as we speak on nothing but the like between styrene and cancer. Especially when microwaving food in polystyrene it leaches styrene into the food.

Huh? 7 means you don't know what plastic or compound it's made from.
Hahahahaha - I didn't actually realise this thread was 5 years old until you just told me :D

I could have done a google search and read some research articles/journals, but I would only be able to get through an abstract of a scientific journal in the 3 minutes.

Not all Chemicals, compounds, and metals bioaccumulate. Saying lead and mercury does, does not mean others do. Your body is able to break down a lot of stuff, and a lot of it is beneficial - Iron for example. From the looks it is not conclusive if Antimony is bioaccumulative or not - most of what I read either said not or that is does accumulate in certain organs (but was vague on if this was a short term accumulation or not). Of coarse the answer to you question is Yes, but that is because of the way you worded it by asking if it "may" not if it conclusively does or does not (and I know that is one point that if there is evidence that it can and can not at the same time you really need to way up the risks/benefits). And to you question on lead / mercury - are there RDI for these as all I could find was exposure limits - i.e. the maximum you can be exposed to at one time before it can start being a problem.

Yes polystyrene can depolymerise at high temperatures, and it is generally taken as best practice not to microwave it. But that doesn't mean it "Can leach all sorts of nasty stuff" all the time just sitting there on your table.
I did find this forum post on the subject http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1bjzxo/can_you_microwave_styrofoam_is_it_safe_to_eat/

Yes #7 means that you as a consumer can not tell what plastic it is from just the recyclable number, but it does not mean it is bad for you. So my question to you is are all #7 plastics a health risk?

You've clearly made up your mind - that's great! And no, #7 does not mean inherently dangerous. But it certainly doesn't mean inherently safe.

Back