Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gytaryst

Reaction score
I entered the home brewing game late, (2015). Seems like I missed out on all the excitement. 90% of the stuff I find online about home brewing was posted 10 or 15 years ago. I looked up home brew clubs in my area back when I first got started. There was probably 10 or 12 that popped up and upon further investigation only 2 or 3 were still in existence - the others hadn't been active in years. Now I think there's only 1 in Phoenix, (the 6th largest city in the US), and if you click on the link to their web page it takes you to some SPAM page. So whether that club is still active or not remains to be seen. This is from the American Homebrews Association page:

HIdiLJM.jpg

Like I said, I've only been brewing 3 years so I never gave much thought to entering competitions. Now I've worked most of the bugs out of my system and I'm brewing better beer with more consistency, so I'd like to enter a few just to say I did it more than anything. Maybe a ribbon or two would be nice as well.

One of the unforeseen downsides of adopting our 4 year old granddaughter is that we have become social outcasts and hermits. We don't fit in with the group we used to hang out with because they don't have small kids. The group who does have small kids are in their 20's and 30's - so we don't fit in with them either.

Of the extremely small number of people we do associate with now . . . ocassionally . . . they either don't drink at all, (most of them), or they drink wine. Of the one or two we know who drink beer - they drink Bud Light and ONLY Bud Light and won't even consider try anything else.

So as much as I love brewing beer - the brewing for myself and myself alone aspect has gotten somewhat mundane. I try to be as objective as is humanly possible - but how humanly possible is it. Beer is meant to be shared. Not being able to share it takes a lot of the joy out of making it.

As a "Gytaryst" I played in bands most of my adult life. Suffice to say I never had a problem finding anyone to share beer with. In fact I'm sure my wife has said more than once, "Don't you know anyone who's primary reason for existence ISN'T beer?" But back then I didn't brew it - I just slammed it... the cheaper the better.

Anyway. I was wondering if it's possible to enter competitions in other states since the home brew scene here in Arizona seems to have dried up like a tumbleweed.

Sure, almost all competitions allow mail-in entries. FWIW, I’m not sure your experience is representative — my town, Portland, has at least 5 brew clubs and a dozen homebrew shops.

Most of the competitions that I enter are in a different state. Just make sure to check shipping deadlines and requirements and you should be good to go.

When searching the AHA site for comps, I generally just look at all comps and keep an eye out for border states or states that are close to me.

It looks like Cody, owner of Black Canyon Brewing Supplies, might still have an active homebrew club. It is sad that Phoenix doesn't have a more visible homebrewing presence though.

You definitely can! Just make sure to ship them with someone like UPS and not the post office, because unfortunately it is still illegal.

I'm down in Tucson and our club (Tucson Homebrew Club) is pretty active locally, but the official website doesn't get updated very often so if you were basing off just that, I understand the impression that you get from other clubs' websites. Over the past couple years most activity has moved to the Facebook page. If you have Facebook, I would recommend looking up the clubs there.

However, I know for sure Arizona Homebrewers Society (ASH) is pretty big and has 2 open competitions each year. There are several other clubs in the Phoenix area, but I'm not too familiar with that scene. You could try asking at one of the homebrew stores up there (Brew Your Own Brew is pretty big in the community).

Back