Comparing two IPA recipes, pitch rates...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm starting a new Summer project -- I'm brewing a collection of one-hop IPA's using a different hop for each brew.

The grain bills and yeast and brew method are the same for each brew, but I came upon variations in my pitch rates for two current IPAs; Columbus (15) and Magnum (15).

The OG, IBU, SRM, ABV are identical in both recipes. Both late Hop additions

But according to BrewersFriend;

The Magnum IPA requires 98b pitch cells.

The Columbus IPA requires 209b pitch cells.

Anyone know why this is?

--------------------

One of the settings must be off - check the batch volume and the target pitch rate (i.e. set for ale, lager, etc). 98 sounds low for a 5 gal batch, that's likely the one that's off.

Edit: let me guess - your OG is 1.060 and you have the Columbus IPA set for the pro brewer recommended .75 million/ml of wort pitching rate while the Magnum is set for the manufacturer's .35 million/ml on the drop down list. That gives the numbers you listed.

You have the pitch rate set for the magnum IPA at .35 million/ml. The more standard rate used in most calcultators is .75 million/ml for ales, which on the brewersfriend calculator is called "Pro Brewer 0.75 (Ale)". You need to change that setting.

Back