Companies without "Beer" label?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofgrok

n00basaurus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is an odd one...

I am a PhD student in Biology and my professor teaches Microbial ecology. He asked me to track down affordable fermentation buckets, hydrometers, cappers, kits etc. for a fermentation lab his class will be doing.

Easy enough right? Not exactly. The University is private Baptist uni and so we cannot buy these things from any company with "Beer" or "Homebrew" or the like in the name. I get most everything that I use from Amazon but almost every company on there is understandably "X Homebrew Supply".

Any suggestions?

*Edit*Update* It looks like Midwest Supplies is going to work great. Thanks all.

Lowes (and presumably Home Depot) has 5 gallon "food grade" buckets that are good for fermenting in. I believe they also sell lids for said buckets. Here in my area, we have a store called "Beverage World" so that would fit your needs. :) See if you can find a local homebrew store without the "offending" words in their name. :)

Lowes (and presumably Home Depot) has 5 gallon "food grade" buckets that are good for fermenting in. I believe they also sell lids for said buckets. Here in my area, we have a store called "Beverage World" so that would fit your needs. :) See if you can find a local homebrew store without the "offending" words in their name. :)

Good advice. For some reason, I was thinking the Lowe's ones weren't food grade. Good deal.

Delis and super markets have emptied food grade buckets. Often priced at $0.50 to $1.00. May have a pickle or frosting label.

....need to ferment....can't buy from any company that is associated with alcohol....jesus drank wine.....what's wrong with this world.....

Or find out how to get an exemption from the rule because you are getting this equipment for a legitimate educational purpose and there's no practical way to get it without going to a company with "beer" in the name?

EDIT: And tell them that it's not good to spend your talents and University resources on some wild goose chase just to satisfy some rule that is obviously directed at preventing the evils of alcohol. The rule shouldn't prevent you from getting legitimate supplies from the best supplier and in an efficient manner.

Thanks all. I will check these out.

And while I agree with everyone, arguments against the red tape portion of things are irrelevant to the situation really. Bureaucracy and red tape are part of everything it seems these days and being a private University they truly do get to say "If you don't like it, don't go here." :p

I had a professor for my undergrad that taught mycology (different university). He brought a bunch of fungus produced products in for everyone the last day of class... including beer (For a 9:00am class I should add). Different strokes, different folks. Same goes for Uni's I guess.

That makes me think of my first year in grad school. First semester, when we finished our last final, we walked into the lobby to find a fully stocked bar with liquor, beer, and bartenders. Same situation second semester, we walked out to find a table with a few hundred shots of tequila unceremoniously set out.

You could buy a bucket with whatever logo and paint over it. Or, since your university apparently frowns on alcohol consumption, you could buy buckets that aren't food grade.

Not sure I understand --- the university will gladly take your money to attend there so you can brew beer in class. But they won't allow you to order supplies from a source that has the word "beer" in it? Seriously?

I'm sure you can get hydrometers at a lab supplier, but cappers seem to be a uni-tasker and I can't think of anyone other than a brew shop that would have them.

Not sure I understand --- the university will gladly take your money to attend there so you can brew beer in class. But they won't allow you to order supplies from a source that has the word "beer" in it? Seriously?

In all fairness, they don't take my money. They pay me money to go there...

Lowe's sells these food grade buckets: http://www.lowes.com/pd_356492-1152-50640_0__?productId=3694238&Ntt=
They are only 5 gal so your batch size would have to be <5 gal, but maybe that would be ok since it sounds like this is mainly just for fun. And in case the financial people do start poking around, seeing Lowe's would definitely raise fewer eyebrows than Midwest Supplies. I bet these are cheaper, too.

I would think the chemistry department would have some of this stuff, or know of a good place to order it: hydrometers, stoppers and tubing for blow-off tubes, etc. If you reused PET soda bottles you don't need caps or cappers. With those and buckets from Lowes or Home Depot you're ready to ferment. It would be a lot cheaper than a brewing supply business, too.

...And while I agree with everyone, arguments against the red tape portion of things are irrelevant to the situation really. Bureaucracy and red tape are part of everything it seems these days and being a private University they truly do get to say "If you don't like it, don't go here." :p...

But it just doesn't make sense - They don't want to promote alcohol but they are fine with promoting alcohol? If the Uni is really are against the evils of alcohol then the class should not be including anything to do with fermentation for the production of a food stuff. Fermentation for fuel, etc. fine but then you will also need to distil it to get anything useful... good luck with that :D

Back