Compact Refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedDragon

Reaction score
I was looking at a 4.4 cu foot refrigerator to fit under my bar to store bottles. I have space for a second. Does anyone have any experiance with these sized friges and would it keep two or three corney kegs cold enough?
Thanks.

considering beer should be dispensed around 40F or above, yeah, a dorm fridge works fine.

BUT...how tall is it? Most fridges have a freezer, and that's where the cooling coils are. The freezer won't let a 5 gallon keg sit inside.

You *can* bend the freezer compartment back, but several guys here still damaged the coils and ruined the fridge (short of having a repairman do more work on it than the fridge is even worth)

If you have space for a second do this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/4-6-cu-ft-fridge-10-1-cu-ft-fermentation-chamber-conversion-88554/

I tried bending the coil on my fridge to fit cornies, cracked the coil, and ended up making this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rr...op-worrying-about-my-cut-coolant-line-124701/

This way the only mod you have to make on the fridge is to remove the door so you don't have to worry about damaging anything. Put the door back on and you still have a perfectly working compact refrigerator. You also have the bonus of no hump, which really opens up space for the cornies. The only problems are that it takes a while to get down to temp the first time, and you have to be careful not to add too much at once.

You could try this:

DSCF0052.JPG

DSCF0017.JPG

Just add a plywood collar to the fridge and some foam insulation. Depending on how big you make it, you can fit 2-3 cornies in there. Pretty cheap way to go, and held 40F just fine for me. Also makes a good single carboy ferm chamber if you add a temp controller.

Back