Commerical Freezer into Dual Stage Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard Petersen

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions/instructions/parts list of the best way to turn the freezer below into a cooling and heating fermentation chamber. Preferably using BrewPi. I'm not sure how to handle the freezers defrost or evaporator fans. I want to have the fans run instead of using a computer fan.

Attachments

• Existing freezer Thermostat instruction_digital_controller.pdf
    454.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Freezer existing wiring diagram.png
    Freezer existing wiring diagram.png
    212.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Freezer.jpg
    Freezer.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 64
Unfortunately those controllers typically aren't programmable in terms of defrost periods or cycle time. Also many (I'm not actually familiar with your brand) will automatically run a defrost cycle if power is removed for more than a moment, i.e. using an inkbird plug and play type controller to cycle incoming power. The defrost would terminate fairly quickly due to warm evaporator sensor temp, but in all you would likely be looking at up to a 5 min delay every time you had a call for cooling.

If it were mine, I would delete the current controller, and replace it with an STC-1000 type controller. You can fully do away with the current defrost components (as a part of the cooling circuit), the door frame heaters, water pipe heater (not even sure what that is). Wire the evap fans through existing door switch to line voltage to run continuously unless door is open. The compressor and condensing fan can run directly off the cooling circuit of STC controller, and the defrost heaters (they are located inside fins of evap coil) can be wired to the heating relay of STC controller . The full rating of cabinet is only 8.3A, so this should work out fine assuming you can isolate all the components.

Last edited:
Here's what it might look like schematically. Of course you could use one of several readily available controllers, I just happen to know the pin outs for the STC.
Edit: Transformer was taken out of circuit (just noticed I left the label)
Ferm chamber wiring diagram.png

No problem. If you get into it and need a hand figuring out what’s what, let me know. As far as the BrewPi, there are ton of people on this site that can lead you down that road (not me unfortunately [emoji51]).

No idea why this crossed my mind today, but I made a slight change to the heating circuit. Instead of tying directly off the incoming line voltage, instead take it off the switched leg with the evap fans. It will prevent the elements from overheating in the event you leave the doors open for and extended period while the ambient temp is lower than the chamber set point.
Ferm chamber wiring diagram.png

Back